turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Whats your thoughts on a BPS?

Started by TheSportsman, February 08, 2011, 06:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

BIG10

The biggest thing you need to watch for is your personal fit and feel. I have been shooting slugs at deer since the 1970's and have owned just about anything that would fire a 12 ga slug. If the gun doesnt fit right a 20 ga can be brutal. make sure the length of pull feels good and your face lines up comfortably with the sight of choice. There is nothing like a shot to the cheek bone from a stock your have to smash your face down on to get lined up. Especially important to us with the bigger sized melons. Almost any 10 ga made lately is high quality and set up for turkey hunting. By the way Remington has discontinued the SP10 as of this year so if anyone wants a new one you better let the clutch out. I expect the used market to dry up and get expensive. I almost bought a BPS 10 but I am over 50 now and decided to get myself an SP10 since I have wanted one since 1989. Diapers took the forefront back then but now my wife hunts with me so I have been blessed. Yes I am full of hot air but only mildly annoying, If you read this far you have problems!

WildTigerTrout

I have a BPS Stalker/Matte finish "Turkey Special" I bought new in 2001. Came from the factory with a 24" barrel, Hi-Vis FO sights and Browning X-Full Invector Turkey choke.I replaced the choke with a Bansner .690. Shoots great patterns with the "Old" Fed. Prem. 2 1/4 Oz. #6. I have killed several gobblers with it. None required a second shot. The one disadvantage to the gun is the WEIGHT. It is heavy. I bought a WIDE neopreme sling for it and that helps spread the weight out. One of my friends has the same gun and he has named his "The Tominator"
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

trkehunr93

I came across a BPS at gander mountain a couple of weeks back it was the turkey model, matte black, 24" barrel.  good looking gun, shouldered well. Didn't really  think it was all that heavy, felt like my CVA Optima muzzleloader weightwise.  I think that is around 8 lbs. with a scope.   Wish I had the extra cash or I would have purchased it.  I've always wanted a 10 gauge.  Someday!   ;)

WildTigerTrout

I LOVE my BIG 10! Glad I bought it when I did. It was hard to find. I live in Pa. and the gunshop I have dealt with since a kid had a rough time finding one for me. He finally found one at a distributer in Alabama after alot of searching. You don't see many 10 ga. Stalkers with 24" barrels and FACTORY FO sights. Browning dropped that variation after a couple of years. It's not my only Turkey gun but still remains one of my favorites. ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

gobble157

I absolutely love my Browning Gold 10 ga! Last year I missed once with my Browning Gold 12 ga while in New Mexico and decided to tote my 10 ga and on the last day I sealed the deal with the 10. I don't really notice the weight (even at 6000+ feet). My Browning Gold is the NWTF model with a 24" barrel, Rhino .720 choke, and some Nitro loads. Deadly combo when I can shoot straight :)

My Browning Gold 10 ga and Lincoln National Forest Merriam (NM)
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

gobbler74

Quote from: gobble157 on December 17, 2011, 06:19:25 PM
I absolutely love my Browning Gold 10 ga! Last year I missed once with my Browning Gold 12 ga while in New Mexico and decided to tote my 10 ga and on the last day I sealed the deal with the 10. I don't really notice the weight (even at 6000+ feet). My Browning Gold is the NWTF model with a 24" barrel, Rhino .720 choke, and some Nitro loads. Deadly combo when I can shoot straight :)

My Browning Gold 10 ga and Lincoln National Forest Merriam (NM)
Looks to be tuned in great!  :icon_thumright:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

decoykrvr

JMO!!!  I've owned, shot, and reloaded for every 10 gauge auto made, a BPS 10, and several single shots.  I'm down to two single shots, one sports a Nikon VSD red dot scope, a Beartooth raised comb, and a Pure Gold choke tube.  With the new HTL loads a 31/2", 12 guage will perform right up w/ the 10 gauge with a lot less weight.  The 10's shined pre-HTL, but IMO you don't pick up much performance for the additional weight and cost.  With that said, I'll probably be one of the first in town to buy and pattern the "new" EM 10 gauge Mag-Blends and the 7's when I can find them!!!!  I've killed a bunch of turkeys with the EM 3", 7's, and I've got a hunch that since I know that they'll kill a turkey as far as the pattern holds up, the 7's in a 10 gauge load should be devestating.

gobbler74

Quote from: decoykrvr on December 19, 2011, 05:08:16 PM
JMO!!!  I've owned, shot, and reloaded for every 10 gauge auto made, a BPS 10, and several single shots.  I'm down to two single shots, one sports a Nikon VSD red dot scope, a Beartooth raised comb, and a Pure Gold choke tube.  With the new HTL loads a 31/2", 12 guage will perform right up w/ the 10 gauge with a lot less weight.  The 10's shined pre-HTL, but IMO you don't pick up much performance for the additional weight and cost.  With that said, I'll probably be one of the first in town to buy and pattern the "new" EM 10 gauge Mag-Blends and the 7's when I can find them!!!!  I've killed a bunch of turkeys with the EM 3", 7's, and I've got a hunch that since I know that they'll kill a turkey as far as the pattern holds up, the 7's in a 10 gauge load should be devestating.
not sure that down range once the percentages are figured up if it really has any over the 3.5" compared to actual "pellets in the head" Maybe we shouldnt look at getting a 10 ga because we want some kind of advantage. Maybe we should just shoot them because we can. Its a useful fiream that we are still able to carry in the woods or keep in our home that hasnt been banned yet or hasnt gone extinct like so many good guns we miss now.,,,,,YET  God bless America we need all the help we can get

Old Gobbler

The issue is that there has been a enormous progression of refinement into the 12/3.5 while the 10 has languished with neglect from manufacturers - With the exception of Nitro ,Shot shell companies in particular have not showered the 10 gauge crowd with updated offerings -

EM's new 10 ga  magblend may be ,perhaps the biggest advancement for the 10 gauge  in a long time and if proven to be effective will keep the 10 viable for a good spell 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

SLAYER

My BPS 10ga outperforms every other 12 gauge 3&1/2 or 3" that I've tried. A .720 rhino choke and Nitro H210 4x5x7 flattens gobblers at 55 yds like a 12 gauge will at 30yds.  There may be a few non believers out there ,but most would agree on this combination. The H210 load with the Rhino .720 kicks less than the old federals 2&1/4 oz lead loads did out of the .675 hastings choke I used to shoot.

nflorek

Quote from: SLAYER on February 18, 2012, 09:33:42 PM
My BPS 10ga outperforms every other 12 gauge 3&1/2 or 3" that I've tried. 
I'm with you on that. Since I've owned one its hard for me to take anything else i guess its a trust thing.  All i can say is in the last 12 years everytime i dropped the hammer on something its dead meat.