turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

winchester sxp turkey hunter

Started by laturkeyhunter, May 10, 2014, 08:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laturkeyhunter

anybody had any experience with the winchester sxp turkey hunter with the 24" barrel. whats yalls thoughts on it

allaboutshooting

When Patrick Flanigan was shooting for Winchester he shot one in his shows. It was very quick and I've seen him shoot a standard SXP amazingly fast. He shot a lot of rounds through those guns and as far as I heard, had no real issues with them.

It has as you know a chrome-lined Invector+ barrel and the same internal workings as the older Winchester pump guns.

It's one of those guns that I just don't hear much about and don't believe I've had any reader inquire about it.

The design has been around for years, produced by the old Winchester company and its successor and the new one is pretty much the same except for the Invector+ barrel, so it should be just fine. I just can't recount any experience with it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

surehuntsalot

it is a very fast,slick handling pump,just like it's brother the 1300
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

laturkeyhunter

thanks fellers, im trying to decide between it and the mossberg 500 with the 24 inch barrel. for the last couple of years i have been using my duck gun which is a browning silver but i want something strictly for turkey hunting. i want to get my hands on both of them to see wich one i like the best but im not having any luck finding a store with either one of them on the shelf.

gatrkyhntr70

Between my son and I we had 3 winchester sxp's. One was the turkey model and 2 were the 26"bbl. field guns.
Fast handling cycling gun. Love the features of the gun.
Cons: were all 3 of them had a terribly heavy trigger; and all of them didnt shoot poa/poi.
Deal breaking issues imo.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

laturkeyhunter

were you able to fix the poa/poi issue with the adjustable sights on the turkey model?

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: laturkeyhunter on May 22, 2014, 01:35:52 PM
were you able to fix the poa/poi issue with the adjustable sights on the turkey model?
No I wasnt able to with the sights. I sold it to a friend that wanted to put a scope on it.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

laturkeyhunter

ok thanks, i think i am going to go with the mossberg 500 or the 535 seems like lots of people like them and plus they are american made  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

allaboutshooting

Quote from: laturkeyhunter on May 23, 2014, 10:39:21 AM
ok thanks, i think i am going to go with the mossberg 500 or the 535 seems like lots of people like them and plus they are american made  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Those are both very good guns and highly customizable to meet your needs.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mikejd

You can always shop around for a nice used 1300 turkey.
They came in some great camo patterns.
For me that is my favorite turkey gun and I have many.

RAY

I picked up a Winchester SXP in a local Gander Mountain. They had 2 waterfowl versions on the rack. I was surprised with it. It didn't feel all that bad. The pump action was smooth and everything about it felt good over all. Never got to shoot it obviously, but all in all a very nice appealing firearm. But I think you will be very happy with the Mossberg 535.

laturkeyhunter

well i took a chance and bought the sxp. i finally found a local store that had the waterfowl version of the sxp and the mossberg 500 on there shelf i did not like the way the mossberg felt so i ordered the turkey hunter version of the winchester. when i get a chance im going to pattern it with a truglo ssx since i already have one that will fit it and since i like taking chances so much here lately i might go ahead and order a patternmaster codeblack for it. ill let yall know what happens.

rkm456

I'm looking forward to a review. Keep us posted.

Twowithone

Post some pics of this turkey slayer. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

laturkeyhunter

i dont know how to post pics if somebody could explain it to me ill try