turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 Mossberg Question

Started by model94, May 09, 2014, 01:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

I have both the 1300, and the 835 and I prefer the 1300 any day of the week. Not saying the 835 is not a good choice I just like the 1300 all around.

WildSpur

Between an 835 and an 870 here is my choice!  870!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Tracker

I have an old Gen 1 Mossberg 835 with the "corn cob" forehand, and recently added a SumToy choke and have been shooting Hevi-Shot 3.5 " shells  out of it, and it is Gobbler Killin Machine.  Although  it kicks like a mule and is a bit old, I have taken several birds over 50+ yards with that gun, so I still can't get rid of it yet.

alclark2

Life's too short not to buy both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: alclark2 on May 11, 2014, 12:00:53 AM
Life's too short not to buy both.

I agree. 

I'll add that with the 835s they tend to punch most shooters in the face when shooting 3.5" shells. All you'll need to do is add a neoprene pad to that area of the stock and the facial abuse will be reduced.

lowoctane

:morning:
According to Clark, Mossberg has addressed their rattle issue and I say AMEN!!! It drove me a little nuts in the field and I'm real happy they finally made the improvement!  After reading Clark's review, I'm gonna buy another one as they are one of the best turkey killers out there for the $, IMHO...
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

davisd9

835, no question about it.  870 is a great gun and plenty of turkeys have feel to them, but to me the 835/935 is what comes to mind when someone says turkey gun.  What it comes down to is what feels best for you.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

stinkpickle

That big 835 bore sure can make lemonade out of lemons.

trkehunr93

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 16, 2014, 10:43:21 AM
That big 835 bore sure can make lemonade out of lemons.

Amen!  They have a reputation of patterning a variety of loads extremely well out of a variety of chokes.  You don't find too many guys shooting an 835 having to spend alot of time at the range figuring out which load/choke combo to shoot.  Some even have luck with the factory choke that comes with a 835 turkey model.  I know mine will NEVER be sold or my Mossberg 500 for that matter.  Mossbergs may be inexpensive but inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean cheap.  My  :z-twocents:!

RAY

I agree and like the fact that Mossberg pioneered the 3.5" load for 12 gauge guns. The 835 barrels patterns are amazing. Now they are putting the harmonic dampeners and better recoil pads. Got to love a company that listens to the hunters and offer something other than the same old gun.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: RAY on May 16, 2014, 11:11:01 PM
I agree and like the fact that Mossberg pioneered the 3.5" load for 12 gauge guns. The 835 barrels patterns are amazing. Now they are putting the harmonic dampeners and better recoil pads. Got to love a company that listens to the hunters and offer something other than the same old gun.

Amen,been shooting them for 40+ years and plan to keep using them.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase