turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 Mossberg Question

Started by model94, May 09, 2014, 01:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

model94

I am looking at buying another turkey gun and give my son my Winchester 1300. I was looking at the 835 Mossberg because I read it throws great patterns. I also read it kicks like a mule and it is very loud because it has a ported barrel. Is this true? Also, I plan on shooting 3" shells out of it. Does this gun kick harder than other pump shot guns? If so why? My 1300 is 6.75 pounds and the 835 is 7.25 pounds.

Thank you for your responses

alclark2

The ported barrel probably depends on the gun you buy. My 20" 835 isn't ported. My 28" waterfowl barrel is ported however. Yes it kicks! I think any lightweight short barrel pump will kick ya though. It's nice to shoot 3" with the option to try a 3.5" load. I don't notice the bang or the kick when I see a longbeard flopping in front of me :) you're right about it putting up good numbers and nice patterns. The overbored 835 seems to like a choke around .675 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Ridge Rooster

I have been considering the same thing. Not that i really need another turkey gun but I have always wanted to try an 835. The one thing that has kept me from buying one is the loose rattling forearm. Have they addressed the issue in the new models?

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

RAY

If you shoot 3" magnums you will not be bothered by the recoil. I swapped out my factory rubber recoil pad with a Limbsaver recoil pad. It is a pleasure to shoot 3.5" magnums now. I sold my Winchester 1300 to a friend and now exclusively use my 835. The ported barrel is a nice thing to have.

davisd9

Never thought my 835 was any louder than any other shotgun.  I shoot 3.5" Hevi-Shot 2.25 oz #6s and the recoil is not that bad.  I never did understand why the 835 got the mule kicking reputation.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WildSpur

835 is a great gun.  You can also try the thumb hole stock because they will help with recoil too. 

I did notice the other day was my buddies 835 does not rattle anywhere near mine.  I am guessing his was a 90 ' s model or early 2000.  The stock on his feels solid.  Mine was made in 2010 and really feels like it is a toy.  I am interested to see the newer ones especially if the rattle is fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

DirtNap647

my opinion cant beat the 835 for the price

ILIKEHEVI-13

The 835 got the mule kicking reputation because it was the very first shotgun(1987) to shoot the heavier and longer 3.5" shells.  The 835 kicks no harder than any other pump shotgun of the exact same weight.  Any pump shotgun shooting 3.5" or even 3" turkey loads of 2.25oz or 2oz loads is going to kick you period.  There is no getting around it.  They have a lot heavier payload than any deer rifle cartridge.  Shooting one 3.5" 2.25oz load is like shooting in all reality 3 and hair more of the 30-06 shells at one time just to put that in perspective.   

allaboutshooting

I have completed most of my range work with the new 835 with the Matthews Harmonic Dampner Recoil Reduction System. If all goes well today, I will publish my "Product Test" article this afternoon.

Mine is the black "Waterfowl" model with a 28" ported barrel and has the LPA trigger.

As soon as I have that completed, I'll post some results and a link.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VAarrowslinger

The 835 doesn't kicks worse than other 3.5" guns . I have 2 along with other turkey guns and I definitely recommend one.

VAarrowslinger

If you are a Winchester guy...look at the SXP

model94

I really like my American Made 1300 with my Indian Creek 660 choke. It throws excellent patterns with the 3" hevy13 #6 at 40 yards! When I patterned it this year, I had 215 pellets in a 10" circle on big paper.

I would purchase the SXP, but it is made in Turkey and I want to buy an American Made Shot Gun. I purchased my 1300 a month after Winchester shut down their plant in New Haven, and I am still upset that 1300/ SXP and the Model 94 are not made in America. I know the Turkish made gun are very nice, but I hate to see lost American jobs.

Another gun I am looking at is the 870 Sure Shot or the 870 Sure Shot SPS Turkey guns. I beiieve I will purchase 870 or the Mossberg 835. Any opions on these two guns?

Thanks You for all your responses.

Don

jblackburn

I have an old Viking grade 835 and I put a 24 inch ported barrel on it for turkeys.  I'm not sure I would say it's louder, but it definitely sounds different.  I think my 870 with an IC choke may actually be louder.

Recoil, I really don't think its that bad.  I shot 3 inch win XXs for years and never had an issue. I switched to the 3.5s and there is more recoil, but still manageable.  The pattern difference for me was worth it. 

My 870 is a newer express with a 26 inch barrel with an IC choke and is has every bit as much recoil with 3 inch Hevi 6s as my 835 did with 3 inch shells.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

model94

Thanks for your reponses. Recoil does not bother when I am shooting at a bird and I pattern my gun off a Lead Sled. I take one practice shot from my tree seat before the season opener and I am good to go.

Thanks for clearing up the myth that the 835 is the hardest kicking pump gun or the loudest because the barrel is ported and the sound was ear bleeding in a blind. Now I will see if I like the 835 or the 870 Turkey Gun. I plan on putting a Burris red/green dot scope on it

What are your thoughts... 870 or 835?

Thanks Don

Birdyblaster

Let me know what you decide.  I'm down to those 2 guns myself.  I posted a thread a week or two ago asking about both guns.  If you scroll down the page a little bit you should find it.  Lots of good info in there.  After reading the responses I'm leaning toward the 870 but still not dead set yet.