Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Who hunting PA and how you doing???

Started by upstate, May 06, 2014, 09:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devastator

Killed #1 the first day and killed #2 last thursday.Also killed 1 in New York the 2nd morning,1 more tag to fill.And filled it yesterday.

tomstopper

Being an out of state resident, I was only issued one tag for PA and I filled it yesterday. I live right near the border in NY and filled my 2 tags within 5 days there. They seem to be gobbling a lot in these areas from early in the morning to about 10:30 IMO. Good luck if anyone is still after them...

WildSpur

I passed a Jake last week and called in 2 longbeards on different set ups on Wednesday.   Unfortunately I could not get the shot I wanted.  It's on next week!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Cutt

Haven't been out too much since taking my first PA bird, weather has been very wet. Although the couple times out since then have got a bird going after 11:00 am only to have the one messed up with a snorting deer, and the other had to quit at noon.  Monday is the start of full day hunting so, if I get a late morning bird going, I will not have to quit at noon. With some better weather I'm thinking 10:00 to 2:00 should be good?

Sully53

I hunted the 1st full week of the season, not much happening in the beginning of the week, it got better for me towards the end, finally shot a 18 lb. bird with a 9 in. beard on Friday morning, 3 of the 4 guys at camp shot birds that week.

Brian

Yoder409

Hunted the first week and the Saturdays so far.

Shot a 21 lb. 2 year old the fist Monday.  VERY little gobbling activity since then.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

RS

I hunted PA for the first time last week.  I went up and joined a friend to hunt public land Mon. through Fri.  We did not hear a single roost gobble all week.  I was able to get the one in the pic below to gobble mid morning last Mon. and eventually come down the ridge to us after about an hour.  After that we were only able to get a bird to gobble 1 time Thurs. morning and another to gobble 1 time Fri. morning, but neither would work to calls after that.

Matt / PA

Killed 2 nice ones the first week in different areas of Lycoming Co......now I'm just doing my best to get one in front of my wife.

WildSpur

Got a 3 year old this morning with a rotted beard.  Only bird I heard.  I was a bit surprised but the skies were very gloomy.   Who knows if that had anything to do with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Grunt-N-Gobble

I only have a short window to hunt in the mornings before I have to be home to get the kids ready for the day.  But I was out again this morning setup @ a gas well where gobblers are known to strut & its in the area where I heard one yesterday.

So I get one going, gobbling, coming my way.  He goes silent and I wait a few minutes.  I called again and nothing.  Well, its time to head back to the truck and as I get to the pasture edge, I spot a vehicle a few hundred yards away parked in the trees on another gas well road.  Its a car, so I start scanning the tree line and see another hunter (older fella) walking the edge. >:(   That bird had to have seen him.  I don't know if this guy heard the bird or saw him, but it didn't matter at that point.  My hunt was over.  Had he not been there, I just might have filled my 2nd tag.

captin_hook

I hunted hard the first week, killed a good one on the first Tuesday. Since week one I only hunted about 5 days, I'm juggling watching my kids, working, and taking care of things around the house. I'll be out all day on Thursday, hopefully I'll fill tag #2 then.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Matt / PA on May 20, 2014, 09:53:44 AM
Killed 2 nice ones the first week in different areas of Lycoming Co......now I'm just doing my best to get one in front of my wife.

Nice Toms, Matt what camo are you wearing?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Matt / PA

Taunto,

It's called "Ultimate Camo" and IMO there isn't a better camo for hunting turkeys......really good stuff.
Will send you a few more pics in PM of PA birds that haven't seen it. LOL.

Remturkey

Love my Ultimate Camo. Its a local company here in central Maryland and the owner is a great guy. All clothes are made in USA and the stuff just works. If you tree stand hunt or turkey hunt you won't find a better pattern.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Got on 2 gobblers on a new property over the weekend.

Called in a strutter early Saturday in the morning, but Dad wasn't ready and missed the opportunity.  I messed up and shot over one yesterday around 10:30am.  He came in silent to soft clucking & purring.