turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help my yelp!

Started by Terry, May 05, 2014, 07:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

I really want to improve my yelping on a diaphragm call. Please critique my calling and offer tips if you can, I know I need a lot of improving. I switch my tone half way through in the vid. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnRBfeXgW_8

Jbird22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkKR3eYnBd4

I think it would be easier to achieve a distinct high front end on a ghost cut type call when you're first starting out. It may not drop off into the rasp you want but the idea here is to achieve two distinct notes - the clear, high pitched "kee" and then drop off into the lower pitched, deeper "youk". Like Scott says in the video, you have to move your tongue around the call until you find its sweet spot then train yourself to call off of that spot each time. Hope this helps!

Terry

I have a ghost cut. Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k92A1V5UA3c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I am not a beginner, I actually primarily a mouth call guy. I think thats actually a bad thing cause now I have some bad habits to break.

Jbird22

Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you were a beginner when it comes to mouth calls just that a ghost cut might help if you were beginning to try to master the two note yelp. I certainly didn't start out with a perfect two note yelp. It took a bit of practice but really it was all about finding the call or calls that worked for me. You just need a little fine tuning. Finding the correct tongue position, tongue pressure, and amount of air pressure is critical. Find that clean high spot on your call and go from there.

Here's a clip I took earlier this season:
https://soundcloud.com/jbird_22/hooksexecutionerii

Terry

I wasn't offended, just thought it might aid in any advice.

You sound really good! That's where I want to be.

Tatr

Sounds to me like you have no change in pitch in your yelp. Find the sweet high pitch spot on your call and then drop your tongue for your low rasp. Your ghost cut sounded better but still single toned most of the time. Your cadence with your ghost cut needed some improvement also. I'm no expert at all just telling you what I hear! Keep working on it I'm sure you could call in a turkey just like that.

Jbird22

Quote from: Terry on May 05, 2014, 09:23:39 PM
I wasn't offended, just thought it might aid in any advice.

You sound really good! That's where I want to be.
Thanks! Keep working on getting that clear, high note on your call and you've got the hard part figured out.

alclark2

That's a good video by Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Terry

Thanks guys! I am working on it.

Terry

I think until I get better I need to find an extremely easy to blow call. I am struggling to get a high clear front note. It takes a ton of air.

Jbird22

I'm not sure what brand you're using but you will NOT go wrong with either Hooks or Houndstooth! I personally prefer the Hooks Executioner II and Houndstooth Dixie Combo. Both are easy to run and are full of turkey!

Terry

Right now I am primarily running a Gooserbat Bacon and PLS. I have a Hooks Executioner II, but I  struggle with the clean note with it.

Jbird22

I've read where the PLS will produce a very clean note but I've never ran one. Try running them one side or the other of center. You'll find find it!

Terry

I am getting a nice clean front end. Now I need to work on rolling it over to a lower second half. I get going to fast and it turns into a flat yelp again.

jblackburn

The PLS is not built to have a lot of rasp, just touch on the back end.  As said, you can move your tongue around and find a place to get more, but it's going to be a defined front end.

Run the Bacon right down the center, you can get a shorter front end with moderate rasp relatively easily with it.  Same with the ghost cut.  Also, you could try adjusting your cadence.  draw out the yelps just a touch longer.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.