turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most realistic sounding call ???

Started by REBELYELL, May 05, 2014, 12:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitro

Trumpet call- ran by someone who has put the time into learning how to run one...
Royal Slam 2008

L.F. Cox

Quote from: strutnrut on May 07, 2014, 09:14:40 AM
The only judge that really matters ain't the internet hero's who thinks he's the only one that can kill a turkey or the only one who can build a good turkey call nor the guy behind some wall at a contest. It's like Shannon said the judge sleeps in the trees and if I'm good enough to fool him he gets to ride home in the truck. I could care less what one person feels about my calls or my calling abilities. So long as Mr. Tom keeps coming and putting on a show for me. Either I shoot him or someone else shoots him.  I'M HAPPY if I can get him within gun range weather he dies or not.  Sometimes I wish that there were only 1 magic turkey call. My vest would be a lot lighter but it would sadden me to think how boring it would be. To only be able to carry one call and not be able to learn how to play different style calls.

Richard Knowing you I know a lot of this is directed at me....

After teaching you so much I'm surprised at how you've reacted with such animosity towards me.

After all I called in the first turkey you ever saw called with a trumpet call....and also a box call. Practically gave you a turkey dog trumpet that you turned around and sold for $1800.00 bucks...then proceeded to rub it in my face at every turn...Why don't you send back the turkey tote I gave you and I'll move on.

Back to the original thread....

The love lorn spring gobbler or "only judge" you refer to is most time a pretty poor judge of a turkey call.

L.F. Cox

Quote from: strutnrut on May 07, 2014, 09:14:40 AM
The only judge that really matters ain't the internet hero's who thinks he's the only one that can kill a turkey or the only one who can build a good turkey call nor the guy behind some wall at a contest.

"Internet hero".....

My definition is someone who has to post a picture of the 3 measly turkeys they killed on every message board out there thinking they have some fan club going on...

That's "Internet hero"....know any one like that Elvis Richard ?

DirtNap647

paboxcall

Over the years, for me the gobblers reacted most consistently to the long, short box or scratch boxes.  I recently added a mini boat and having success with that too.

Recently, last two years, I've had more success striking public land gobblers with a trumpet call than anything else.  And when people hear a trumpet call for the first time they always react similarly, saying how the sound has a depth or texture, a sense of realism that's not found in a mouth, pot or box call.

This year I started on wingbones, and to my ear there is a sense of realism with the yelps and clucks that friction calls don't reproduce.

Just my thoughts on topic before this thread continues going off the rails, gets wrecked and locked.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

RemingtonRules

I have called them in with a box, mouth call, pot, leaf scratching, and often a combination of each.  Often it is a matter of when and how much than what call I use.

TRKYHTR

I have had the opportunity to judge the Grand National Turkey calling contest. These are the best callers in the world and are trying to reproduce the most accurate turkeys sounds that can be made by a human. I hear turkeys every day and didn't think I could ever be fooled by a caller. I was wrong. In the last 2 years that I judged I gave out 2 20's. Thats a perfect score and would have fooled me in the woods. Neither were made by a pot call or a box call or any other turkey call. Although I do have a few box calls that can replicate a great yelp in the woods and sounds better when they are further away. The mouth call is the most versatile and closest replicator of the wild turkey in the hands of the right person. The best friction callers out there are honing their tools and skills to get real close but I don't think any of them can perfectly represent the wild turkey, yet. JMO

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Spurcollecta

Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 12, 2014, 10:06:18 AM
I have had the opportunity to judge the Grand National Turkey calling contest. These are the best callers in the world and are trying to reproduce the most accurate turkeys sounds that can be made by a human. I hear turkeys every day and didn't think I could ever be fooled by a caller. I was wrong. In the last 2 years that I judged I gave out 2 20's. Thats a perfect score and would have fooled me in the woods. Neither were made by a pot call or a box call or any other turkey call. Although I do have a few box calls that can replicate a great yelp in the woods and sounds better when they are further away. The mouth call is the most versatile and closest replicator of the wild turkey in the hands of the right person. The best friction callers out there are honing their tools and skills to get real close but I don't think any of them can perfectly represent the wild turkey, yet. JMO

I agree. For all the people that think the contest callers don't sound like real turkeys need to get their ears checked. Maybe you went to the wrong contest but if you go to the grand national I guarantee you'll hear real turkey sounds from most all the callers. Especially the guys that make it to the finals

turkey_slayer

Guys he didn't say what kills turkeys. He said most realistic. With the right bird I could blow on a piece of grass and kill him. The very best of mouth callers are hard to differentiate from the real thing. You can still tell it's a friction call no matter whose playing it tho some sound very good

Tail Feathers

Clearly I need to hear some better trumpet players.  I know a small number of guys who play them and I can always tell it's a trumpet.  Not bad, but certainly not as realistic as a good mouth caller IMHO.
Admittedly, my trumpet listening experience isn't as extensive as some of the folks here.  But I will definitely be practicing with mine more this off season.  I would love to take a tom with one.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

I opt for the mouth call, but there is just something about a good box that calls turkeys when nothing else will... :z-twocents:
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WildTigerTrout

The last six gobblers I have bagged all were taken exclusively with mouth calls. IMO they are the most real sounding calls out there.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: pappy on May 07, 2014, 10:16:34 AM
ANY CALL that makes a Tom sit up and take attention is the best call as far as sound is concerned. What was the first call or method of calling used to hunt turkeys? I would imagine without doing any serious research that it was the mouth of the individual that was hunting, most likely Native American. Then I am cure over a period of time, men found out they could make sounds similar to that of the turkey with other materials. Most likely the bones of the bird were implemented to create sounds, that obviously worked good enough, as some have been found over the years at sites where the Native Americans were.
So I would say that we learn from the best, those earliest hunters who improvised as best as they could because their lives depended upon it. Today, we hunt because we like it, it is a passion, an addiction, so we experiment with different types of calls, and which ever ones we feel most comfortable with, that happens to be the call/s we choose to hunt with.
The most "realistic" sounding call? There is none. Why? simply because we will not all agree on one! LOL

:z-winnersmiley:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Britton40

Mann Made Paddle and someone that can run it.