OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most realistic sounding call ???

Started by REBELYELL, May 05, 2014, 12:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBELYELL

I know it varies from day to day and from bird to bird, but for the vast majority of the time, what is the most realistic sounding call in the woods?

Mouth call
Pot call
Box call
Trough call
Tongue teaser
Scratch box
Trumpet
Wingbone
Tube call

Jbird22

My vote would be a mouth call but a pot call would be a very close second.

BigGobbler

Hands down Any well made and tuned slate call ya just can not beat a slate for a real turkey sound. Now if you want to hear the fancy not so real sounding turkey call competition sounds you gotta go with a mouth call.

turkey_slayer

I disagree. Put Walter parrott 30 yards away and I bet you can't tell it's a person.  You know when someone is using a friction call and a lot of times you can tell if it's a slate, glass, box, ect. Of course I'm talking at the highest level of calling. Most people sound terrible on mouth calls

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Spur806

I really don't think there is a great answer for this one, I know I have and sure y'all have heard plenty of hens and thought, that is a terrible sounding call, just to find out its a real hen, they are like you and me, no two sound alike, and each one is unique in there own way, just my opinion, I think the most realistic call I carry is a glass over slate in a maple pot, 3inch with a one peice red oak striker, or a red over yellow cedar box

L.F. Cox

As far as a bad sounding turkey I've never heard one....

For realistic sound a pot call rates at the bottom of the list...it's an okay call for amateurs.

jakesdad

Quote from: L.F. Cox on May 05, 2014, 07:06:13 AM
As far as a bad sounding turkey I've never heard one....

For realistic sound a pot call rates at the bottom of the list...it's an okay call for amateurs.

Really??????????? "OK" for amateurs??  I've seen some pics of some pot calls of yours but they must be different because YOU made them  ::)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

L.F. Cox

No need to take offense.....

Once I grew up I stopped toting one nor do I make them anymore....but when I did they had good tone.

WildSpur

I think the slate call has the most potential.

For me I can do decent on a slate with clicks and purrs.  I like using them because for me I can't get that great "finess" out if a mouth call.  If I set up on a roost bird I will go for my slate since I like to give enough to let him know I am here.  For running and gunning I like my diaphragms because I can really let them rip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

ferocious calls

Longbeards continuously are being taken accross the country with All kinds of calls. It is the player that makes the difference. 14 states reporting dead Toms' with my boxes this spring, so far. I like the boxes. Hard to beat a good mouth caller as well. Used slates and glass, now copper and like them all fine. Learn to play them and your set.

Tomsoph

For me it's my Cox Ironwood and Ivory...seems that air operated sounds the most realistic to my ears...that includes mouth calls from someone who plays them well...just my opinion...

ol bob

When it comes to what a turkey hears nothing will beat a trumpet its been proven in lab studies on sound.

drenalinld

Quote from: ol bob on May 05, 2014, 10:13:54 AM
When it comes to what a turkey hears nothing will beat a trumpet its been proven in lab studies on sound.

I do not disagree with this. Do you know where a person can find those lab results?

TauntoHawk

In the hands of an experienced caller a mouth call is probably the most versatile at reproducing a wide range of turkey sounds. Pot calls are good for mistake free soft calling like tree yelps and cluck n purrs, at distance nothing sounds more hen than Quality box call yelping.

If there was a single best call my vest would be a heck of a lot lighter.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>