turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

pattern question?

Started by knightrider, March 16, 2011, 11:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

im shooting a mossy 835 with pg 670 and magblend 3in 2oz. the first shot out of a clean barrel gave me 261 in the 20 in cicle, the next shot about ten minutes later i got 371 in the twenty, the next two were both were over 350 in the twenty. do any of you guys get better numbers with a fouled barrel versus a clean one? :thanks:

njdevilsb

Was there oil left over in the barrel for your first shot or did you clean it out prior to shooting?  That could have an effect on the first shot.  Some guns just like a dirt barrel though.

knightrider

Quote from: njdevilsb on March 16, 2011, 11:48:38 PM
Was there oil left over in the barrel for your first shot or did you clean it out prior to shooting?  That could have an effect on the first shot.  Some guns just like a dirt barrel though.
no oil, i never put oil in my gun barrels

longspur

every one I have any experience with does. thats only 5.

VAHUNTER

when checking patterns i'm more concerned about keeping the choke clean than the barrel. i have guns that show the same results clean or dirty as well
Good things come to those who wait

S.C.C

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 17, 2011, 06:16:46 AM
when checking patterns i'm more concerned about keeping the choke clean than the barrel. i have guns that show the same results clean or dirty as well
:agreed:

several of mine shoot best after 4 or 5 shot up to a point then time to snake the bore again.
my 835 likes a clean choke and a filthy bore...It shoots best after I clean and then fire a box
of light loads throught it before the first heavy load!!

hookedspur

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 17, 2011, 06:16:46 AM
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowhunter84

the mossy 835 that i had shot better with a dirty barrel

BHMTitan

So how does this work with the deep cleaning / polishing process?  Those are supposed to be done to improve your patterns.

Reloader

I like to clean mine thoroughly during pre season prep.  Then I'll pull a snake through about 3 times between shots while patterning.  It gives each shot a more equal bbl condition shot to shot and seems to provide consistency in numbers.

I would try your gun with a clean pipe and with a slightly fouled pipe to see what seems to work.  Like I said, I prefer a consistent bbl condition for each shot, but some guns will pattern quite well when fouled.

Alot of your count differences are due to the ammo inconsistency from shell to shell or lot to lot.

knightrider

Quote from: Reloader on March 17, 2011, 12:18:35 PM
I like to clean mine thoroughly during pre season prep.  Then I'll pull a snake through about 3 times between shots while patterning.  It gives each shot a more equal bbl condition shot to shot and seems to provide consistency in numbers.

I would try your gun with a clean pipe and with a slightly fouled pipe to see what seems to work.  Like I said, I prefer a consistent bbl condition for each shot, but some guns will pattern quite well when fouled.

Alot of your count differences are due to the ammo inconsistency from shell to shell or lot to lot.
same lots it happens every time on first shot versus next three shots so i dont think hevi is to blame

3.5inchpainfulldeath

My gun shoots best with a couple rounds through the barrel before a swab...  depends on the gun, choke, shell...  lot's of variables..