turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slow Start

Started by RIStrutStopper, May 04, 2014, 04:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIStrutStopper

Got out on Thursday and Friday. I've been on a dry streak the last two years, but this is the slowest start in a while. Thursday, I hit a spot where they usually like to roost, but they weren't gobbling at all. The landowner says they are usually there every morning. Its an hour and a half drive for me so I have to take her word for it. Sat and blind called for about an hour. Called in a coyote after about 30 minutes. About a half hour laterd as soon as I put my striker down before making a move I hear a single gobble and see him about 75 yards in front to my left. I thought it was game-on but he never came in. Saw and heard nothing the rest of the morning. On Friday, different property, no gobbling at all. I always hit a crow call or make some loud cuts with a box call while moving trying to locate birds and to try to be sure I'm not going to jump one, but on a farm road between two fields as I'm navigating through the rocks and mud I almost walked right into a Tom. He never made a sound except for beating wings when he took off and flew out of dodge. Nothing more the rest of the morning. Took the day off today, back to work (my job, not hunting) tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get out again during the week sometime.

harleytom

Hang in there and stay after them.