OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do shells go bad?

Started by TheSportsman, May 01, 2014, 09:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I've got some older lead winchester loads, some have corrosion on the brass. They still ok to shoot?

Canteathorns

Shot bunches over the years even shot the old paper shells . Discoloration and corrosion I wouldn't worrying much unless it's really bad  , if the shells integrity is compromised or the brass looks real thin then stay away .

surehuntsalot

Unless they been underwater and corroded real bad,they are good.
I have shotgun shells that are over 20 years old and they go bang every time I pull the trigger.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

stinkpickle

By "corrosion", do you mean rusty or just discolored?

Canteathorns

Rust and pitting . Discolored shootim .

TheSportsman

R AJ

You can use scotch brite pad or 220 grit sand paper and may em shine. You may want to rub a rag treated with gun oil on the brass .

Note: They can and will hang up in semi-autos if corrosion is bad enough. I know.

jblackburn

Quote from: RAJ on May 07, 2014, 09:36:04 PM
You can use scotch brite pad or 220 grit sand paper and may em shine. You may want to rub a rag treated with gun oil on the brass .

Note: They can and will hang up in semi-autos if corrosion is bad enough. I know.

:agreed:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

WyoHunter

Clean 'em up and shot 'em!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

WV TURKEY THUG

i was told by a older feller that to never shoot any rusted or croided shells i think thats how u spell it out of ur gun he told me to shoot them out of a old single shot or something it does something to something cant remember lol.

COssman14

Never had a problem with 20+
Old shells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".