OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey reaction to Federal Heavy #7s

Started by howl, May 01, 2014, 10:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauld

Quiver and twitch describe it better than flop.

BowBendr

I shot a bird with them this year at 32 yds. He flopped like every other bird i've shot, mostly just nerves and the life leaving him. The damage was severe though, his head never left the dirt, the neck was completely broken with a very noticeable puddle of blood. Those shells will whack one hard !

Tail Feathers

Grandson's bird at 35 yards hit and flopped very little. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

walk20

shot one in kentucky this season 36 yards with range finder flopped a few times but just couldnt get that head full of those #7s off the ground works for me

gtrjames

I shot a bird one morning and was about twenty yds. He fell face down and never twitched a feather...until I walked up and went to pick him up by his feet. As soon as I grabbed him his wings started flapping and one of his spurs got caught on my glove. He spun over and over and as y'all know there's a lot of power in those wings. The glove was ripped off my hand and a knot came up on my wrist. I thought I'd broken my arm. He was dead of course, but since that day I've given them time to flop a little. Even if they don't.

Red Huck

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 04, 2014, 07:26:21 PM
Every bird that I have ever shot,has flopped to one degree or another no matter what they were shot with.You can take their head completely off and they will still flop.

Killed a few chickens for my Grandmother when I was a lad. They run in circles and flop, jump up an run after you chop there heads off with a axe

Augustus

Long time lurker and because of this forum, went and got a sumtoy choke and some federal #7's for my benelli 20 gauge and tried it out yesterday on a western pa Tom.  I was thoroughly impressed with the results.  30 yard shot and hit him hard, flapped his wings a few times but the damage was really impressive. 

Many thanks for those of you who I've read so much to try this combo out.  Many thanks and cannot wait to smoke another with the lightweight 20!

Gus

donjuan

Have you guys ever heard the phrase 'running like a chicken with his head cut off?' You can't control the muscle contractions and postmortem effects with any shell or any other means of death for that matter
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Old Gobbler

You can take a axe to a gobbler and cut his head off and it will flap plenty sometimes , I'm not sure what is muscle memory but it's probably the same thing rattlesnakes got too cause they will rattle and coil with it's head taken off

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

RaspyD

I was pretty pleased with how this one reacted.  Flopped about 40 yards down the side of a ridge to a logging road and flopped no more.  The blood trail was very impressive.
Perfection Turkey Calls

mikejd

Quote from: RaspyD on May 15, 2014, 07:48:25 PM
I was pretty pleased with how this one reacted.  Flopped about 40 yards down the side of a ridge to a logging road and flopped no more.  The blood trail was very impressive.

Smackdown right there. Nice bird.

firedup

QuoteI'm kinda lost in this flopping stuff. I have killed a whole bunch of turkeys. They flop. Iv blown heads off. They flop. Some less than others but flop they do. A bird on flat ground may not carry on too much if he is not grabbed too soon but in the hills they flop and roll and roll and flop. I have caused and have been witness to a huge sampling of turkey death, and either I'm loosing my mind or... Some birds flop more than others. No matter what they are hit with.

Ditto here.  Basically, if I do my job and they are in range....they die....flop or no flop! Those #7's are pretty deadly.  ;)

sixbird

My only question is, does she have a sister??? :love5:

dirtnap

Shot my son's 20 gauge in Kansas and Nebraska last week, after my trusty Mossberg's 835 trigger quit working on the first day.  I killed 5 gobblers with HW 7's at ranges from 30 to 40 yards or better.  I will say this, I am done with the 12.  Remington 870 youth model and Remington factory full extended choke.  3 inch shells.   

howl

Quote from: sixbird on May 31, 2014, 08:01:48 AM
My only question is, does she have a sister??? :love5:

She's got one that'll clean your fish. Trouble with her is she'll drink you under the table while she's doing it.