OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey reaction to Federal Heavy #7s

Started by howl, May 01, 2014, 10:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

howl

Finally got one with the 20ga Federal Heavyweight #7/Sumtoy combo out of my Yildiz O/U. Bird collapsed at the shot like they do with a 2oz load of lead sixes, but unlike the big load of sixes the bird flopped a lot after a few seconds. They flop very little with the big load. My wife noticed I shot low when she was cleaning the bird. That may have been the reason for the extra flopping. Shot the bird at 37 steps but I recall I aimed for middle-neck instead of the head like I should with that particular gun. Old habit.

How do birds y'all have shot with the 20ga loads of heavy 7s react? Those 7s looked about the size of sixes, btw.

timberchicken

WV Ridge Reaper

They drop like no ones business,little to no flopping...Less flopping then 5s out of a 20 gauge

turkeyhunter91

I have saw 4 birds get shot with 20ga federal heavyweight#7s this year, my step son shot one at 33 yards opening day of season and it never flopped the first time, then my dad shot one with them the second day and it didn't flop until we picked it up but he caught a pine limb that he thought he would be above and it busted his shot up, it actually shot a hole clean through a side of its breast. The first one I shot with them this year was about 25 yards and only flopped once or twice when i picked him up and the one I shot yesterday was actually quite a bit farther than I thought when I shot but it still put him down hard and he never flopped until I picked him up, I am really impressed with how the federal heavyweight 7s and a sumtoy has performed for my family this year.

bpsmag1026

What i want to know is how do you get your wife to clean your turkeys?!?!?!

fallsflight

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on May 01, 2014, 09:41:41 PM
They drop like no ones business,little to no flopping...Less flopping then 5s out of a 20 gauge

Just like he said.  My 12 year old son shot his first bird ever with these last weekend during the youth weekend and that tom dropped in its tracks.  He kicked his legs a little with a little wing flap due to nerves, but no flopping all over.  Stone dead. 

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

howl

Quote from: bpsmag1026 on May 02, 2014, 09:00:30 AM
What i want to know is how do you get your wife to clean your turkeys?!?!?!

She hunts and fishes a little. We made a deal the first time she shot a deer. I clean the stuff with hair and fur and she does scales and feathers. She uses the feathers for trading and crafts. I started having the eldest daughter clean my squirrels and rabbits. I haven't had to clean anything except deer and coon in years.

bpsmag1026

savduck

Ive shot 13 with my 20 ga and let a child shoot number 14. All with Federal sevens. Every one was hit like a sledge hammer with very little to no flopping. In fact, the two or three that did move, Id actually say it was a twitch not a flop.
Georgia Boy

jdub2041

very little floppage with the ones ive shot, even with hevi 13 #7

howl

I reckon I just shot low, then. Some practice is in order to break that old habit.

TrackeySauresRex

Fed 7's is some mean stuff! I still don't know why I'm shootin the 12.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Bigspurs68

I'm kinda lost in this flopping stuff. I have killed a whole bunch of turkeys. They flop. Iv blown heads off. They flop. Some less than others but flop they do. A bird on flat ground may not carry on too much if he is not grabbed too soon but in the hills they flop and roll and roll and flop. I have caused and have been witness to a huge sampling of turkey death, and either I'm loosing my mind or... Some birds flop more than others. No matter what they are hit with.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

surehuntsalot

Every bird that I have ever shot,has flopped to one degree or another no matter what they were shot with.You can take their head completely off and they will still flop.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

I worry about the stop not the flop and they do that when properly applied.