OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Thugs # 6

Started by akp, April 30, 2014, 10:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akp

Anyone shot these through a Sumtoy .665 in # 6 shot?  I shot some in 5's earlier in March in patterning and they were OK.  As discussed earlier, I killed three with longbeards this season, but they proved to be too tight for me up close.  Going back to old school loads.  My Wal Mart has a ton of thugs still in stock and season is almost over here.  They'll mark them down in another week or so.  If they work well, I'm stocking up. 

Assuming good patterns, are the 6's solid and lethal at 40-42 or so? 

akp

Well, I shot the 6's through a Sumtoy .665, a Truglo Gobblestopper .665, and a Remington Super Full .665.  Not impressed with the 40 yard pattern in any of them.  Hit 115 pellets, but they were kind of clumped and not real even.

I hate the thought of spending money on Hevi, but that may be where I'm headed.  Ugh.

surehuntsalot

The thugs are great shells,just like any other shell,you got to find the choke that will give you the results that you are looking for
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

10gaugemag

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 01, 2014, 08:13:34 PM
The thugs are great shells,just like any other shell,you got to find the choke that will give you the results that you are looking for
x2. I have some loads that shoot great in 1 choke only and some gun/choke combinations that seem to shoot whatever I run through them. I had a Browning Gold 3" gun that would shoot nothing but #4 shot through any choke I tried. I have a straight rifled super full Remington choke that is the best 12 gauge choke I have used in a Remington gun. I know Briley still builds straight rifled turkey tubes and would not hesitate at all to purchase one.

darn2ten

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 01, 2014, 08:13:34 PM
This is exactly right. You can also get a choke with less constriction and open those Long Beards up too. Might even try the factory full or something in the .675 to .680 range.

10gaugemag

Are these Turkey Thugs the same as a Wing Shok magnum except for the 10 round box? I try to buy my shells in the bigger boxes in case of pheasant hunting and predator calling a bunch in one season.

akp

No, but they're made by Federal.  You can only get them at Walmart.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Each gun (barrel) is a separate case study.

It's a process that may yield results quickly, or may take a while.  The higher your expectations, the greater the chance that the search may take a while.

Good luck.