OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What 20 ga should I be looking for?

Started by wirtbowhunter, April 29, 2014, 07:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wirtbowhunter

I've been bit by the 20ga bug and am looking for a semi-auto to add to my collection. It will probably be a turkey hunting only type shotgun. I will most likely have some type of optic on it, probably a scope. Would prefer 24" or shorter barrel. I have several different chokes for a Remington but thats not a showstopper. I like the idea of having a pistol grip stock, but again not a showstopper. Would like it with a factory camo finish, but doesn't have to have that. I will be using some type of HTL shot.

What is everyone's likes/dislikes for folks that have already been down this road?

dawei

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

wirtbowhunter

dawei- do you own one of these? What do you like or dislike about it?

WV Ridge Reaper

Lot of people like that gun posted in the link...Hopefully more will chime in!!

FL-Boss

Weatherby SA 459, just a better version of the Mossberg SA20. I have them both

K9-Doc

I was skeptical about spending the extra money on a Benelli M2.  However, it's now my favorite gun to hunt turkeys. It points great, light weight, and recoil is nill.
Awesome little guns. My other choice was the Weatherby SA-08

sonofabuck

I have a Weatherby SA-08 youth model.  Its a good shooting gun and functions well.  The prices are very competitive.  If I had to do it over again I would get a more popular make/model.  Finding accessories for it...well they don't really exist.  Without having it drilled and tapped forget about optics.  Recoil pad will have to be generic slip on.  I got a slotted rail to mount optics that mounts to vent rib it will not work.  I can go on and on. 
Good luck on what ever you decide.

FL-Boss

The specialty turkey SA models like the Moss SA-20 Turkey Thug and Weatherby sa-459 come drill and tapped with a pic rail. They also have recoil pads. They are both sweet guns.. but the Weatherby has some touches and add ons the mossberg doesn't have.

WildTigerTrout

I have a Benelli Nova 20 ga., full camo with a 24" barrel. It is of course a pump gun but if I was in the market for a new semi-auto I would choose the Benelli M2 with full camo and the same 24" barrel.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

wirtbowhunter

Thanks for all the comments, I have been leaning toward the Weatherby SA 459. I didn't want to jump too soon and wish I went a different direction.

wirtbowhunter

To the SA-459 owners, is the front sight removable? It looks pretty big and ugly sticking up, and if I'm using a scope I think it would get in the bottom of my sight picture.

vaturkey

I have 7 turkey guns & have shot many many more ! Benelli M2 is my all time favorite. With the right shot/choke combo it will hang right with the 12's !
Vaturkey

surehuntsalot

Weathersby SA 459 looks like a winner to me,it is basically all ready set up for turkey hunting right out of the box.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FL-Boss

To answer the question above... yes the big blade sight up front is removable.  I actually ended up liking it.. and left it alone.

And yes.. this gun is right out of the box a turkey crusher. So nice to carry.  It needs nothing but a sling.. even the factory turkey choke it comes with is real good.

wirtbowhunter

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 30, 2014, 08:50:12 PM
To answer the question above... yes the big blade sight up front is removable.  I actually ended up liking it.. and left it alone.

And yes.. this gun is right out of the box a turkey crusher. So nice to carry.  It needs nothing but a sling.. even the factory turkey choke it comes with is real good.

I'm almost sold on buying one. What thread choke does it take?