News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835/935 or Rem 870 sps shureshot

Started by Birdyblaster, April 29, 2014, 05:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: Birdyblaster on April 30, 2014, 03:12:41 PM
For the few of you who have said you either have or had both, what would you consider the pros and cons of each?  Given the responses so far I'm stating to lean towads the 870.

I currently own all 3. They each have their own pros/cons. I'm a Remington guy but would hunt with any of them.  Here's what I've noticed with them.

Mossberg safeties are on the tang verses the Remington's trigger guard mounted
safety.

Mossberg has a reputation of the factory mounted sights being of low quality and don't provide enough adjustment to correct the common Poa/Poi issues that Mossbergs are known for.

With the Remington you can change chokes and shoot slugs come deer season. With Mossberg 835/935 you'll have to change the barrel.

Timney offers a trigger fix kit for Remington Shotgun. I'm not sure anything is available for the Mossbergs.

Mossbergs come from the factory drilled and tapped for optics. Only select models of Remington's leave the factory with this feature.

WildSpur

To support mossberg they are drilled and tapped perfectly for a Burris 336 mount.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

ILIKEHEVI-13

The 870 is the better built quality gun.  But you won't wear a 835 out in all probablility.  The 835 will shoot most loads with a tighter 10" and 20" pattern at whatever the distance due to the overbored .775 barrel vs the .729 Rem bore. 

Birdyblaster

I kinda like the features of the 870 a little better but if the Mossberg will pattern significantly better without having to buy half the chokes under the sun to find a good combo then that may be worth going that route.  Is the Mossberg going to pattern that much better?  Also, the 835 only comes in a 20" barrel with the pistol grip model.  Is that short of a barrel going to pattern as well as the other Mossberg barrels?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Birdyblaster on April 30, 2014, 11:19:18 PM
I kinda like the features of the 870 a little better but if the Mossberg will pattern significantly better without having to buy half the chokes under the sun to find a good combo then that may be worth going that route.  Is the Mossberg going to pattern that much better?  Also, the 835 only comes in a 20" barrel with the pistol grip model.  Is that short of a barrel going to pattern as well as the other Mossberg barrels?

That depends on the choke and load used on each gun and the particular barrel you get on each. 

Will you notice the difference in the slight pattern advantage that the .775 overbored barrel will give you over the 870?  My answer is probably not.  Shoot Hevi-13 3" or3.5" #7's and you will be tickled with your results in either gun with any good choke.

WildSpur

My 20" 835 was getting in the 220 ' s with 3.5 magblends and a Jellyhead 690.  All you will ever need for a hunter.  True story.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less