North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

longbeards

Started by 29810434, April 25, 2014, 08:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anybody else notice LB's don't seem to kill a turkey as Quickly as regular lead loads.I've shoot 2 with them and it took a while for them to die with a lot of flopping.Never had that problem with Winchester Supremes.

cuppednlocked

packmule

Nope x2
Just the opposite for me.

Captaintopwater

Nope the one I shot the other day just fell over backwards like all the rest have.

sbraham

No. I killed 4 gobblers this year with them. Dropped in their tracks

VanHelden Game Calls

Check your POI.  Maybe they are shooting a little off from where your WIN are hitting resulting in a "near miss"

Longshanks

With some of the patterns I have seen, including mine, if you are 3-4 inches off with the shot in either direction there isn't much shot in the turkey. If you shoot the turkey dead center pattern it's lights out. I experienced both this year. If I shoot these patterns again hunting it will be with a red dot on my gun rather than just adjustable tru glo sights. Better sight picture of the turkeys movements and pin point accuracy with the red dot seems like a must when there isn't much room for error.

Twowithone

From what Im seeing and hearing about these Long Beards there isn't much wiggle room for error Im glad I got a scope on my rig. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Longshanks

Quote from: 29810434 on April 25, 2014, 08:22:39 PM
Anybody else notice LB's don't seem to kill a turkey as Quickly as regular lead loads.I've shoot 2 with them and it took a while for them to die with a lot of flopping.Never had that problem with Winchester Supremes.

I would think that is the result of catching the turkey with the outer edge of the pattern.

63beards

I've seen 9 die from longbeards this season, some flopped a lot, some didn't, but they all got to ride in the truck & that's all that matters... i like the 4's, be so much blood on the ground it looks like you shot a deer...
71 beards

WillH

Like the others said. I killed 4 with the 3" #6's and they all dropped in their tracks. Two of which were past 50yds. That being said, I missed one early in the year at close range (10 yds) Check your poi. It might not be where you think.  :z-twocents:

akp

I killed three birds with the 3" #5s this season.  Had to chase two down, but it was due to pulling the shot.  Too tight for me and I'll be shooting something else in the future.  They were great at 40 though. 

Gooserbat

None here.  My boy shoots them and he's killed 4 this year. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WyoHunter

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on April 28, 2014, 08:38:41 AM
Check your POI.  Maybe they are shooting a little off from where your WIN are hitting resulting in a "near miss"
Good advice IMO.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: They do shoot tight. Up close shooting use a regular full choke. At any distance from 35-50 yards they pattern better than anything I have tried in my gun and choke. All set ups are different, find what works for your needs. Good luck to all this season. Al Baker