turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reminder, Maintaining gun records

Started by runngun, February 08, 2011, 06:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runngun

This may be preaching to the choir but just a reminder. Over the years during my law enforcement career (21 years) you would be shocked at the number of times I have heard "I do not have the serial number" on a gun that has been stolen.
As turkey season approaches and many folks will be traveling to hunt please be mindful that thieves lurk around restaraunts, gas stations and motels just waiting for that perfect time to take your equipment.
Photograph guns and serial numbers and copy to a cd for use if needed. Hopefully you will never need it but you will have it if you do A friend of mine had his truck broke into in Florida last year, 2 shotguns 1 pistol a gps and His TURKEY VEST were all taken. Not to mention his camera, with photos of his daughters first turkey, gone forever.

Good luck and God bless
       Ray
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

hookedspur

Take this post serious !!!Please take the time to record the serial no. and maybe pull buttplate and put a mark on it .anything we can do to help stop the thieves is time well spent.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hognutz

That is great advice. I had 12 guns stolen, years ago. I had the numbers for about half of them. It made it hard on the investigators. If you insure your guns, as I do, send the numbers to the insurace company as you list them on your schedule. Then you will always have a copy. It also is a good idea to have the list off premises, in case of fire. This is something that needs to be done. Don't delay. It is that important..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Hognutz on February 09, 2011, 09:20:47 AM
That is great advice. I had 12 guns stolen, years ago. I had the numbers for about half of them. It made it hard on the investigators. If you insure your guns, as I do, send the numbers to the insurace company as you list them on your schedule. Then you will always have a copy. It also is a good idea to have the list off premises, in case of fire. This is something that needs to be done. Don't delay. It is that important..Mike

Wow now that would make me want to cry  :begging:  Did they ever catch who did? Did you ever get any of them back?

turkey_slayer

I buy my guns off my uncle whose a dealer so he always has my serial numbers in his log book.  For customs or muzzleloaders I keep those wrote down myself.

gophert

Great Advice!!  I've owned an Insurance agency for 13 years.  Just keep in mind, most homeowners policies only cover up to $2000 for guns and related equipment.  If you think you have more, you may want to call your insurance agent and have them increase the limit. 

Hognutz

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 09, 2011, 11:05:20 AM
Quote from: Hognutz on February 09, 2011, 09:20:47 AM
That is great advice. I had 12 guns stolen, years ago. I had the numbers for about half of them. It made it hard on the investigators. If you insure your guns, as I do, send the numbers to the insurance company as you list them on your schedule. Then you will always have a copy. It also is a good idea to have the list off premises, in case of fire. This is something that needs to be done. Don't delay. It is that important..Mike

Wow now that would make me want to cry  :begging:  Did they ever catch who did? Did you ever get any of them back?

They caught the guys. One of them was a foster kid that my parents raised for 5 years. (Nice payback for feeding him for that long). He teamed up with black kid, and robbed my parents house on Christmas Eve, while they were at my place having supper. They caught the black kid a few weeks later, robbing a gas station in Chicago. He sawed off a Winchester shotgun, a Ruger 10/22, and robbed the place. They did catch him, but those were the only 2 guns recovered. It didn't do me much good because they were illegal. They stole my father in laws Winchester .32 Special. That was from the late 1800's. Probably sawed that off too. I never had to go to court, so I am assuming they got away with what they did to me. It feels like I was raped, and there's nothing you can do about it. Except learn. And learn I did...Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

spur collector

Mag10

Good advice.  My Idea of security for my guns is write the #'s down and put them in a big gun safe and fill it up so it weighs so much 10 scumbags can't lift it.   :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

archery1

that takes some nerve to rob someone on christmas eve.. wow. they should be punished to the fullest extent. i had all my fishin stuff stolen years ago. over 3000.00 worth of it. all i owned. never caught the person or persons. but this did happen 2 days before trout season .. there are so many bad people out there that don't care about what they are doing to other people or what consequences it will cause them...
Take a kid hunting

Odessa

Gophert, Don't know if this varies by region, state or by insurance company, but my Independent Insurance Agent, who is also a hunter and has several nice guns, advised me to drop the HO-3 policy and switch to a HE-7 policy.  My gun (and silver/jewelry) coverage went from $2K to $10K in the base policy without a rider - the insurance company is Encompass. Odessa
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

BowBendr

Another thing that I do to all of my guns is to tag them. I make a small tag with my name, address and phone number on it. On the back of the card I write, "if you find this card, this gun is stolen". I then laminate it and hide it somewhere on the gun, maybe inside the butt stock but on all my bolt action rifles I put it under the carrier spring in the bottom of the magazine where it can't be seen or come out. That way if I find it in a pawn shop or for sale in the want ads, I can ID it as mine while the law is there watching me pull it out of the gun.

Our house got robbed 3 times in 2 years and nobody ever paid us back even though they were all caught, prosecuted in court and found guilty and ordered to pay restitution.

yella yelper

I emailed myself all my S/N's and just reply to the email every time I get a new one. Also have a list in my lock box at the bank.