turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to get a gobbler with hens?

Started by 20ga.turkeyshooter, April 20, 2014, 09:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

20ga.turkeyshooter

tomorrow morning is my last day to hunt for about a week and all the gobblers already have hens and i cant get them to come to me they call on the roost but thats it they just wont come any tips on how to get these birds?

budtripp

If you've hunted them before and noticed which way they wanted to go after flydown or where their intended destination was I'd go there and wait. They are always easier to call when they want to head in your direction anyway.  Or you can leave them be early on and let them do their thing. Then when the hens leave to go nest the gobbler/gobblers should find themselves lonely and might be easier to coax. The bad thing about this tactic is it takes alot of patience to just sit there all morning, and patience is something I lack.

TX Aggie

Quote from: 20ga.turkeyshooter on April 20, 2014, 09:23:59 PM
tomorrow morning is my last day to hunt for about a week and all the gobblers already have hens and i cant get them to come to me they call on the roost but thats it they just wont come any tips on how to get these birds?

How did this end up for you - were you successful in dealing with the tom and hen combos? I am in a similar situation and will be probably playing the run out in front of them and wait to see if I get lucky -  I hate that is the way my last weekend will go but what can you do.

Marc

This season, I have been trying to get my father on his first bird...  I have been taking him to what I consider my most prime property and easy to hunt.  We have yet to kill a bird at prime time at what is my best property to hunt.

As it turns out, I have another property a short distance away, but it is physically demanding to hunt, as it is a steep canyon, and there are less birds using it...  I have killed two very nice birds there, one at noon, and one around 2 pm... 

Hens left those horny toms, and apparently wanted a bit more action.  Wait it out...  The toms will start gobbling on their own when the hens leave them (somewhere between 8 am and 10 am).  For me, these birds are far easier to call in than birds off the roost meeting up with hens every morning.

Only time I have ever killed birds that are henned up, is if I know where they are going...  They still come in struttin' and gobblin', but I do realize I did not call them in.

One other option that has not as of yet worked out for me, but has for buddies, is to use a good gobble call and a hen call...  Let those dominant toms think there is someone gettin' in on their action.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.