OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

More 535 pattern pics with 4s

Started by Onpoint, April 20, 2014, 04:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

Reason I started a new thread is because I can't reply to any threads using Tapatalk from my phone for some reason. Counted the numbers up snd the 3" Longbeards 4'S went 154 in the 10 and the 3.5" HV 4'S went 104. I've never had a gun pattern 4s like this. I'm very happy I decided to trade for this gun.

The longbeards are almost too tight.  Notice how most of the pattern is in about a 7" circle. Might need to put a scope on this gun. I bet I miss a couple with it.
Here's the numbers Counted up on the HV 4s.

Just curious which yall would hunt with. What I'm probably gonna do is if I'm in the woods and shots will probably be close is throw a HV in. If I'm in the open and the shot could be a little further, put a longbeard in.

Guess I'm gonna go see if I can get a bird with it. See yall later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

captin_hook

Those are great numbers with 3 inch 4s. I'd be hunting with those longbeards.

DirtNap647

paboxcall

Quote from: captin_hook on April 20, 2014, 04:52:43 PM
Those are great numbers with 3 inch 4s. I'd be hunting with those longbeards.

Me too, great pattern with 4s, especially with a .660.  I'd figure that would be just a bit too tight but I'd give up my Hevi 7s for a pattern with #4 lead like that.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Loose Wire

Very nice patterns.  I too am surprised a .660 will turn in numbers like that with #4's.

Good job and good luck hunting.

BTW, what length barrel is that?  Any modifications to it?

Tom Foolery

Great patterns for sure.

Did you shoot more than 1 round from each?  Reason I ask is a few years ago I had a choke made and I fired a Win HV #4 and @ 42yds I had well over 100 hits, 115-120 if I remember correctly.  I dry patched the barrel, dreamed dreams of the slaying machine that I now owned, and fired another round.......70 or so hits, fired another, 70 or so, fired another, 70 or so hits.  I never could get it to repeat.  Now I always fire at least 3 rounds and take an average.

Onpoint

This gun really surprised me. I was getting frustrated with it because I shot a few different number 5 loads through it and the best was probably 110 with longbeards and some were as low as probably 50. Glad I decided to give the 4s a try before buying a bunch of 6' or a new choke.

I shot several of the 3.5 hv 4s and they were all very close. I only shot the one longbeard because I only had 6. With the winchester hv being around 100 I think (hope) that the longbeards will probably keep doing what they did earlier today.

As far as the barrel, it's a 22" that was ported and has been deep cleaned. That's it as far as I know of. The guy I got the gun from ported it himself. He done a good job. I also thought the 660 would be too tight for thr 4s. The 154 it put up was thr best lead pattern ive ever shot. That includes 6s, 5s, 7s, all of em. If it will consistently perform like it did today this will be my go to gun. When I got it I had no In tensions of keeping it. I was going to shoot it a little then try to trade it for a 20 Guage but I think ill just buy a 20. I've always wanted a gun that'd throw a good lead 4 pattern and this is the first one I've ever had that'd do it.

Tom Foolery

Cabelas has the LB XR 3.5" #4 in stock if you wanted to try some of them.

Onpoint

Based on what the 3.5" HV's done and the 3" LB's,  do yall think the 3" or 3.5" LB 4's will pattern better. I know there's no way of knowing until I try then but I am curious to see what everybody thinks. It's hard to imagine a #4 pattern gettin much better.

R AJ

The way I figure it , you don't need any better pattern to kill a turkey and the 3.5 will kick more and cost $4-$5 more per box , so what decision needs to be made here? :z-dizzy:

Onpoint

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jblackburn

Looks like either one will get it done!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Onpoint

Blackburn - I haven't had a chance to try the 3.5" HV on a bird yet, BUT the 3" longbeard 4s will most definitely get it done. Especially at 25 yards. Never flopped, never did anything but hit the dirt.

I haven't been able to find any more 3" longbeard 4s but I did order a few boxes of 3.5" longbeard 4s today. If they pattern anything like the 3" 4s I'll be happy. Who knows they may do even better. I prefer hunting with thr 3" shells though for a faster followup shot. I haven't killed a bird with a 3.5" shell in probably 8 years. I also picked up some 3" turkwy thug 4s to try. If they will put up atleast 100 in then 10 I'm gonna stock up on 90 them too. So far I know I gonna be stocking up on longbeard 4s  and winchester hv 4s for this gun. Longbeard 5s and I already have a good stash of thug 5's for my single shot. 

I'm hoping that they come out with a 20 gauge 3" #6 in thr longbeards.  If they do maybe I won't have to make a 90 mile drive to get heavyweights for my wife's gun.

WVHills

Looks great for 4's!

I need to try 4's.