turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This gun ain't goin nowhere

Started by Onpoint, April 20, 2014, 03:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

U traded for a 535 with a 22" barrel yesterday. It came with a 660 rhino choke in it. I had a rhino back when i used to shoot nitros. With the rising price of HTL I've since went back to lead 5's. None of the lead 5s I had would pattern out of this gun. I had a few longbeard 3" 4s that I bought just to try in my other gun and decided to send one downrange with it at 40. And to think, I almost traded this choke off today.

After seeing that I went to try to get some more but they were sold out. I did get a box of winchester 3.5" high velocity 4's and although they don't pattern anywhere near as good as the longbeards, i still hsve no doubt they will kill any turkey out there.

I was amazed at how well the longbeard 4s patterned though. I wander of the 3.5s would do better.  Also want to get a hold of some turkey thug 4s to try. This is the only gun I've ever had that put up better numbers with 4s than 5s. Haven't even tried 6s and if I can find some more longbeard 4s, i probably wont.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

DirtNap647

Onpoint

Y'all aren't the only was that was surprised. I couldn't believe it. I was about ready to sell this choke and get an ssx. The guy I got the gun from said shoot them 4s through it. I did, and wow. I shot several 3.5 HV's and got the same results every time. I only shot one longbeard cuz that leaves me with 5 for the season and I csnt find anymore. The barrwl has been ported and deep cleaned, that's it. I honestly can't believe that the 4s put up way better numbers than the 5s. I was about to try some 6s but no need. I've always wanted a gun that'd shoot lead 4s. I couldn't be happier with it. Well, after I do a trigger job. This trigger is rough as a cob.

R AJ

Notice that the LBs shot high while the HV shells shot a low pattern unless a target is upside down.
The pattern shot with the long beards so that the pattern is at or slightly above my aim point is a perfect pattern to me as far as placement.No need for a sight IF you hold it on him like you did the target. Also , you won't have to practice running up and stepping on his neck causin' he be daid when you gets to em if hit like that.

Onpoint

I was sighting the gun in. The HV did shoot low. I made a sight adjustment and then shot the longbeard pattern. I lowered it just a hair and shot another HV and it was dead on the money.

I'll be the first to sat I've never liked a hard kicking gun. I' just built a 5.25 lb single shot 12 that I'm running 3" longbeard 5s through with no recoil pad on it. That gun hurts to shoot it. It's awful. I've read where the 535 kicks like a mule. I don't know if its where I've got used to the mule skinning single shot or what but my 535 don't kick all that bad even with 3.5" shells. Nowhere near as bad as my single shot. The guy that had it did port the barrel.  32 ports total. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I do love this little mossy though. It's light as a feather. I don't have a red dot or anything on it. I put my wife's mossberg super bantam on the scale (it has a red dot) and it came out to 6.00 on the dot. My 535 came out to 6 lb 2 ounces.

paboxcall

Seems like you're not the only one putting up smoking 3" #4 patterns through a .660 choke.  I don't even think I would have tried my .660 choke with #4.

If my gun put up a pattern like that with #4 I'd dump the ten boxes of Hevi 7s I bought couple years ago in a microsecond.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

TJK68

Very nice, looks like you have a winner.  :OGturkeyhead:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase