Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Couple public land MS birds

Started by HoggleGobble, April 20, 2014, 06:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggleGobble

Well I have call this weekend at the paper mill I work at. I have an 8:30 meeting I have to go to, and last year I took advantage by tagging a double beard before my meeting at the public land right next to it. Well Friday I got this nice two year old to dance with me. Was actually hunting a bigger bird and I kept hearing pst.... Pst....

It kept getting closer and I said 'dang that sounds like a spit'..... Didnt think much of it after that cuz it was quite for about 5 mins.... Then I heard pst........... Vrroooommmmm.... For 5 minutes I could hear drumming but couldn't tell where. Then out of my peripherals I are him at 7 yards!!! Walks right in front of me and somehow I almost missed..... Walked back to truck and had an older gentlrman waiting on me. He said 'Nice Bird, you got lucky didn't you'. I kinda smirked and said yeah I guess so....

Next morning I pull up and his same truck is there.... I walk in, get on a bird, and he comes running!!! Smoked him within about 10 mins of fly down. I walked back out and his truck was still there. I left a feather and a piece of paper that said 'Got lucky again'. There were several cars this morning. I'm sure his blood is boiling by now. Two public land MS birds in two days ain't to shabby! I'm tickled if the season ended today. I have one last call day today so gonna try for a 3 day public land limit!!! It's a long shot, but if it happens, this guy will probably slit my tires on my honda civic! Lol. Today will be a great day, as this is the day he has risen!!!!! All glory and blessings are from him!!!! Hope everyone has a great Easter, and remember who suffered for us so that we can live again!!

Here is pic from the second bird. I caught him napping on this log so thought I would get a selfie with him hanging out!!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

snapper1982

The Law

I guess my question would be, if he was parked at the gate already, then why did you still go in?

redarrow

Public land parking areas are usually full.Gotta hunt somewhere.

HoggleGobble

Quote from: The Law on April 25, 2014, 05:13:10 PM
I guess my question would be, if he was parked at the gate already, then why did you still go in?

It's a common parking lot. There are typically 5-6 vehicles in this parking lot. It's not like a public area with different pull offs where you go to the next one. There is a board people pin as a courtesy location to help prevent people walking in on you.

Woodsman4God