Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Two in a row....

Started by Scottyb, April 19, 2014, 06:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottyb

Tuesday was the last day I hunted due to work...

MD season opened yesterday. Rushed to the woods after work to try to roost one. Got to the spot about 600 and had about an hour and 45 minutes... Slipped up to a big field on an island and spotted two hens, alone. I watched them for a while and noticed a gobbler step into the field. I was looking at him hard and couldn't make out a beard. Saw some form of a beard on him, but it wasn't a rope.  The hens fed off into the woods on the left side of the field, which border the Chesapeake Bay (basically) and the gobbler started to head to some huge pines on the right side of the field. They would be about 175 yards apart... All of a sudden he starts running at the woods and takes off flying and I notice a bald eagle swooping... It was about fly up time so I eased out...

Got in early and had a couple of snafus in the dark, but got to where I wanted to be and put a couple decoys out into the field. It was way to bright and I had to walk in the field because it was a really high tide and I had no way to walk on the beach. Anyway after I was sitting there a while, I could hear hens tree calling and looking up slowly I saw a hen in the tree above me. At about 545 I hear a swoooosh and look as an eagle is coming through the woods and at my jake decoy. He flew within 10 yards of my head and landed in a tree next to me. The hen above me flew to another tree with the other birds. I sat tight as a gobbler was sounding off but not form where I thought it would. I was sure the one roosted across from me saw me and wouldn't gobble. The hens never did fly down, and I feel like they could see me but couldn't make me out as a danger so they didn't bust. I hear a bird gobble off to my right and wasn't too sure where he was. The distance form me to the mainland was a bit over a mile so I decided to stay put. Next thing I know I hear a bird drum right in front and to my right, but I couldn't see him through the thick stuff... When I saw him, he was at 9 steps and pushing up against my jake. Put the bead on him.....

9 1/4 inch beard
1 3/8 spurs
21.69 pounds

these give an idea of where this is.. one of my favorite places!!

Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

derek

Hammer!  Nice bird brotherman, helluva upgrade! keep the ball rolling! 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

DMP

Awesome bird..... congrats

BowBendr

You're on fire big daddy !  :icon_thumright:
Good upgrade for sure !!

canadatom

Excellent bird, way to go :you_rock:

learn2hide

shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Duke0002

Wowzers!  Nice bird, congrats!