Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Guys I let one walk......I'll explain

Started by merocustomcalls, April 18, 2014, 01:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merocustomcalls

Yesterday was my first day out and could hardly sit still.  I was driving by a field and saw a small flock near my lease.  I've had pictures on my trail camera all winter long with the same group of five gobblers hanging out by my tree stand.  Some of these birds have spurs about 1.5". 

After seeing them in the field I flanked them as close as I could while staying on my lease.  I got a gobbler to come in strutting after only 15 mins.  I wanted to get the entire group to come in but no luck.  The gobbler I did call in had a rather thin beard and since he was more of a satellite bird I was pretty sure he wasn't one of the big ones.  Not wanting my first trip in the woods lasting only 15 mins I let him walk away with my sights right on him.  With the turkey population down I want to focus on only taking a very mature gobbler. 

I've got a ton of spring left anyway. 

I did have a great time pissing off an old mamma hen later in the day.  She circled around me at 15 yds and made every vocalization a hen can make. 

savduck

Get em Brian. Im the King of letting em walk this year. 16 so far.

Ryan just left to head back to NY. He had one down his sights this morning and it got out un scathed. Guess my mojo has worn off on him too.
Georgia Boy

nitro

Damn if I let em walk off Del... :TooFunny:

What in the world?? Have you killed a bird yet this year??
Royal Slam 2008

jbrown

I have also let some gobblers walk off this year. I have called in thirteen gobblers of which three were taken. Planning on some serious huntin this coming week! I am looking forward to Del coming to hunt with me on my family land Tuesday morning. We always get into a bunch of birds when we hunt together.

L.F. Cox

Quote from: savduck on April 18, 2014, 03:30:58 PM
Get me Brian. Im the King of letting em walk this year. 16 so far.

I let a couple walk because I missed them  :fud:.....I'm with you Nitro I'd love to hear how someone let "16" turkeys "walk".

savduck

I can tell you it hasn't been on purpose. some misses by me, misses by those I was calling for,  some bad set ups, some close birds but no shot kinda crap. Naw, I haven't seen one flopping yet.

got the shakes from a gobbler this year for the first time in I don't know how long. Two come in behind me and my 8 year old. I was shaking like a leaf I guess because he was there. those got away without a trigger pulled.
Georgia Boy

nitro

Good deal Del. There is plenty of season left.  It may end on a big note. I wish you success!!!!

Royal Slam 2008

savduck

The switch seems to have flipped down here last week. I usually kill a few the last couple weeks. I'm not sweating it
Georgia Boy

L.F. Cox

So technically you have not really "let" any turkeys "walk"....

Here's a free bit of advice....At this late point in the game don't let the desire to kill cause you to not trust your calls and make rash decisions such belly crawling again.

savduck

That's right Frank. I didn't let em walk by choice. Ive only put the belly crawl on the one.

They are starting to gang back up now and finally responding to calls. Ill kill a few before season is out.
Georgia Boy