OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

BPS-10 or SP-10

Started by SCDieselDawg, April 18, 2014, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDieselDawg

I've long had the urge to cross over to the 10 gauge. Well today I ran across a few on the used rack. There was a Browning BPS with synthetic stock and a mid length barrel (24-26"). There also were 3 SP-10s. One was camo'd in what looked like original bottomland I think it had a 24" pipe. The other 2 were wood and matte one had a long barrel (26-28") and the other had a 24".  What's y'all's experiences with these guns?

Gobbler2577

I've had both.  They are both heavy and they are both turkey killing machines.  That being said, I prefer the remington for the simple reason that I am a bit on the small side and the browning was never comfortable to pump.  The sp10 is just more comfortable to me.  It's really a personal thing and only you can decide.  You really can't go wrong with either.  The only issue is parts can be hard to find for the remington since they are no longer in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveo

Have had both and after 20 years have settled on the BPS as it has never failed on me and I shoot it well just my 2 cents .

WildTigerTrout

No experience with the Rem. SP10 but I own a Browning BPS "Stalker" 24" barrel. It's a turkey killing machine. The only disadvantage is the weight, it is heavy. Not a gun to choose to run and gun. If you can overcome the weight of the thing it's a very well built firearm.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Yoder409

If the BPS fits you it is an AWESOME MONSTER of a gobbler hammer !!!!!!

If a BPS does NOT fit you, be prepared to be cut, bruised and/or bloodied.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

SCDieselDawg

I'm a good sized fella. 6'4" 295. So the BPS didn't feel too bad. It actually isn't much heavier than my 870 SM with Shur Shot stock, saddle mount with scope (total weight 9.5 LBs). The browning lists at 10LBs I think. I'm torn between the BPS and the shorter barreled SP-10 but I may have to let the price tags be the deciding factor, That is if I can convince myself to let go of the money.

Yoder409

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on April 19, 2014, 11:41:41 PM
I'm a good sized fella. 6'4" 295. So the BPS didn't feel too bad.

I'm just a little feller at 6'2" 220.  But the gun just doesn't fit me the way it should.  It's not the rearward push.  I shoot some REAL mudhole stomper rifles with ease.  It's the comb of the stock driving up into my cheekbone.

My boy shot it a couple times last spring when we were patterning and it treated him fine.  He was  15 years old................ 5"10 200.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

SCDieselDawg

Now I did notice the potential for it to dig into the cheek bone. I had forgotten that part!  I had to really bury my face into the stock to line up with the bead. I wonder if one of those stick on cheek pads would help

the Ward

I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. I drug my feet a little too long last year and missed out on a really good deal on an sp-10 that was practically new. Bumped into a 26" bps 10 stalker at a local gunshop last fall and snapped it up. I too was having an issue with the comb hitting me in the cheek and I rasped it down some, which helped. I think it was because someone shortened the stock and my head was riding further up the stock, causing me to push my face down to line up the bead. I just recently put some tru-glow sights on and they sit higher so no more having to press down hard on the comb, and that helped a lot. Ran out of time to get a new recoil pad on it, I think when I do it will make the stock a bit longer and my cheek will be where it needs to be and should eliminate the problem, along with a thin piece of cheek-eze. I love the 10, I like having a dedicated turkey gun that with little to no tweeking throws consistent killing patterns out to 40 yrds with plain old lead loads while still having a  not overly tight one at 20-30 yrds.Good luck in you quest, I don't think you will be disappointed with either gun!

eman375

I think something else to consider in your decision is your sensitivity to recoil.  The SP-10 is going to produce less felt recoil than the BPS based on it's semi-auto action design.  That's just physics.  You can't beat the reliability and durability of a pump gun though.  I originally had an Ithaca Mag 10 and to me it wasn't near the shotgun that the SP-10 is.  And talk about heavy!  I replaced the Mag 10 with a SP-10 that I have now had since steel shot became a requirement for waterfowl.  It has slayed a ton of geese and several gobblers and it has never failed me.  It would be difficult to ever part with it.  But as mentioned, parts can be difficult to come by.  This year I wanted to make it a dedicated turkey rig as I no longer hunt geese much anymore.  Anyway, I replaced the original 26" VR barrel with a 21" sighted barrel I found on eBay and found a new thumbhole stock in Mossy Oak Obsession some guy had laying around.  Found a matching fore end at another shop.  Bought a set of Williams Firesights that I still need to install.  Picked up a couple of turkey chokes.  It looks like the ultimate turkey rig.  What I'm saying is, if you decide to go with the SP-10 parts are out there but you shouldn't need to replace much unless you go nuts like I did by changing things that weren't broken.  Now, if I could just find the time to pattern it and then find a cooperative gobbler.  Good luck in your decision because mulling it over is part of the fun to me.  I don't think either choice would be a bad one...   

I hate turkeys

Had both I like the BPS just a little more. As far as recoil I cut the stock down put the original pad back on then added a Sims slip on. It still had a good push no pain.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

Fastcat

I have a BPS10 and If you have experience with a 3 1/2" 12 gauge a 11# ten is a baby to shoot.

Miburmanelly

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on April 19, 2014, 11:41:41 PM
I'm a good sized fella. 6'4" 295. So the BPS didn't feel too bad. It actually isn't much heavier than my 870 SM with Shur Shot stock, saddle mount with scope (total weight 9.5 LBs). The browning lists at 10LBs I think. I'm torn between the BPS and the shorter barreled SP-10 but I may have to let the price tags be the deciding factor, That is if I can convince myself to let go of the money.
Then....please carry the SP10 model in one hand, and the BPS10 in the other hand

Yoder409

Quote from: Fastcat on April 20, 2014, 09:53:52 PM
I have a BPS10 and If you have experience with a 3 1/2" 12 gauge a 11# ten is a baby to shoot.

Shortened to 23", my BPS comes in just a whisker under 10#.  Biggest issue for me is stock fit.

But I don't care who ya are................ 60# of recoil ain't a baby.......... whether it fits you or not.   ;)

PA elitist since 1979

Bowguy

I'm not a real talk guy, not sure about you but the length of pull on the BPS was way long for me so make sure that works if it's the way you go