OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is it possible ?

Started by Canteathorns, April 18, 2014, 08:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canteathorns

Setting up a gun for my wife . She is recoil sensitive and gets blood clots so she don't want to be kicked to bad . I have an extra 870 wingmaster  set up with a super cell recoil pad , thinking about hi brass squirrel loads . So is it possible to get 40 yard performance from a set up like this ? Do you all have any suggestions  shells , chokes , etc ?

duckkillerclyde

Why not buy an auto loader if you're that worried about blood clots?

Why would you have her shoot one of the worst shotguns as far as recoil goes?   I don't think it gets anymore brutal than a pump.

Canteathorns

I figured a high brass squirrel load would kick at least 50 percent less than a turkey load .  An auto loader isn't in the budget . Making use of what I have . Maybe a 1 ounce load with hard shot at close range  ?

duckkillerclyde

I don't even know what a squirrel load is.

Target loads have low recoil.

Hold the gun correctly and it really shouldn't be an issue...????

A good used auto loader is $600.  Save your pennies.   

Canteathorns

Squirrel load - any hi brass 1.25 ounce of 4 5 6 .  Old timers killed plenty with them . I thought they mite work . Your right a target load may be just the ticket .

Gooserbat

Lots of turkeys were killed with hi-brass 1 1/4 loads but to make it into a solid 40 yard gun I think you're going to need something a little different.  You might consider some of the Federal HW loads in 2 3/4.  the load # is PHT154F.  Just be sure to us an unported, non wad striping choke.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

surehuntsalot

You don't have to buy the high priced htl ammo everybody and their brother thinks you have to have just to go turkey hunting to kill a bird.
Get some 2-3/4" High Brass loads of 4's,5's and 6's then head out and pattern your gun
it's not the harvest,it's the chase