OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

which new 12ga?

Started by va wingbone, April 17, 2014, 09:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

va wingbone

I'm in the market for a new rig, I'm torn between the franchi infinity and a benelli either a M2 M1 or montefeltro.  I want something under 7lbs and a 24" barrel. The franchi only comes with 26"? I can get a new infinity for the same price as a used benelli but I can't make up my mind. I just want a lightweight slim reliable auto.
Any thoughts?
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

SCDieselDawg

I like the look and feel of the M2s. Too bad they're priced out of my budget.

drum817

Franchi makes a great gun...I use to own a I-12.....wish I had never sold it.  Personally I like the idea of buying new so I get the warranty if needed.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

DirtNap647

CrustyRusty

Check out the beretta 1301.  Has a 21 or 24 inch barrel and is drill and tapped for a rail.  It's made for 3 gun but I think it may be perfect for turkey and predator hunting.  It's light and points well and has aggressive checkering on the grip and forearm that will be perfect on damp days.  It's about a grand and gets rave reviews.  It's also meets your weight limits.  A lot of guys are switching over to it for three gun matches and choosing it over Benelli.

Meatseeker

Its very hard to beat the reliability and simplicity of the Benelli inertia driven action.  I have a SBE 1 and M1 20 gauge.  They are both over 10 years old and I have beat them silly.  The action is so reliable and so easy to take apart and clean.  No gas system to deal with!

The Franchi's are nice as well.  My buddy has and Affinity 20 gauge that is great gun.

The Beretta's are fantastic as well.  I am just not a gas gun guy. 

As far as buying used goes... not much to worry about in a Benelli.  The actions is so simplistic any issue can be easily fixed in short order even for somebody who is not mechnically inclined.  The biggest issue in a well worn Benelli is going to be the recoil spring in the stock (especially if the gun was stored with the bolt open.  However, the spring is fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.

So...if it were me I would go for the used Benelli over a new Franchi.  But you really cant go wrong either way.

the Ward

You can get a new Montefeltro for just under a grand. They have them available this year with synthetic stocks. I also believe that all Benelli's now come with 10 year warranties. The Affinity is a good looking gun and has a ton of good reviews. If I remember right it is based on the M2 action, but with the recoil spring on the mag tube instead of in the buttstock. Handle them both and see which one you like best, can't go wrong with either of them.  Good luck!

Heller

Franchi, benelli, they both owned by beretta so whatever feels good in your shoulder. If I were to buy a spaquetti shooter I think I would go with the beretta a400 extrema.
If it's strictly a turkey gun it's tough to beat a mossberg 935