OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ported barrel & ported choke?

Started by Triplgobble, April 17, 2014, 06:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triplgobble

Does using a ported barrel & choke together have an effect on patterns? I have seen some torn wad petals on some shots is the reason for asking. Shells used were T. Thugs & Long Beards, choke Comp n Choke.

ohiomossyoak

I am using a  835 with  a 24in ported barrel and a ported truglo gobble stopper extreme choke.The pattern with Longbeard 3in/6s seemed good but I never checked the wad..Im new to shotguns for this purpose..I will try an check the wad when I shoot a few this weekend..

Swyped while swerving via mobile device

"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

duckkillerclyde

Quote from: Triplgobble on April 17, 2014, 06:37:48 PM
Does using a ported barrel & choke together have an effect on patterns? I have seen some torn wad petals on some shots is the reason for asking. Shells used were T. Thugs & Long Beards, choke Comp n Choke.

I have shot a cordoba with a patternmaster.  While I never patterened the gun I don't think it had much for adverse effects as I killed lots of ducks with that combination.   

MossRem

Quote from: Triplgobble on April 17, 2014, 06:37:48 PM

I have heard that ported chokes and Federal shotshells with the Flight Control wads don't mix. Even so, there are lots of people who own ported barrel Mossberg 835s and have ported chokes like Star Dots and they get super duper patterns with them.

ep427

I have never noticed a difference in patterns because of ports. I have noticed torn up wads though but the pattern still looked good. Even with only a ported tub the wads will be torn up