turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Turkey Thugs Shoot ......

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 16, 2011, 09:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stick bow

I've never seen the show. This is my take from what I have read. You have five pro turkey hunters that hunt for the TV audience some hunters and some not hunters watching with wife or girlfriend. These guys have only about two months to hunt and travel to make shows. They're probably hunting pretty much none pressured birds unlike me and some of you. So they also have to get everything on camera up close. I doubt they spend the time patterning to many shells. Go with what works for you and your hunting conditions. May it be 5's, 6's, or 7's. to each his own and happy hunting.

shootumindaface

Quote from: stick bow on March 16, 2011, 03:56:04 PM
I've never seen the show. This is my take from what I have read. You have five pro turkey hunters that hunt for the TV audience some hunters and some not hunters watching with wife or girlfriend. These guys have only about two months to hunt and travel to make shows. They're probably hunting pretty much none pressured birds unlike me and some of you. So they also have to get everything on camera up close. I doubt they spend the time patterning to many shells. Go with what works for you and your hunting conditions. May it be 5's, 6's, or 7's. to each his own and happy hunting.
Actually no, the show is kinda what everyone wants.. They are not "pro" turkey hunters.. They are turkey hunters that may have a reputation locally of being a murderer.. The guys really dont hunt much on the show but are they giving advice they have acquired.. Paul Butski is probably the only well known hunter on there.. I have heard many a times of Bob Walker being a turkey killing fool that has flown under the radar.. The other 3 I have no clue who they are but 2 of them give spot on advice..

bunk

I love the show and DVR it every week but I cant remember a single episode where any one of the five pro hunters was hunting. All the hunts I've seen have been other people hunting and the pros are answering questions on the weeks topic.

turkeytromp

Well here is my insight on this, all the lead shooters WILL at one point in time have to switch to HTL sometime soon in the near future because the way things are going with the EPA lead is slowly vanishing anyways, and just think, all of us HTL shooters that have been trying out multiple chokes and different shell manufacture combinations will have tried and true recipes that the lead shooters will have to one day switch over and the cost $$ of making this switch in the future is not decreasing any by no means.
So why all the hype about Heavy shot or heavier than lead, well the manufacturer's know where this is heading!and in my opinion Hevi13 and federal are already on the ship sailing into the future and have that being said, Dont Miss The Boat!

mountman62

The show is pretty good, Paul Butski has been killing birds and guiding since before i remember,have a pic with him from 1989, Bob Walker is also a killing & calling machine, don't know the other two personally, but if Cuz & Toxey ok'd them, they got to be good folks, and turkey killers, i totally agreed with the #5 shot advice, been shooting Fed 3" 2oz #5's in a1187 for several years, have two kills over 60yds with the setup, bought a 2nd fully camo'd 1187 last year, shot it with the same setup, best i did was 60 pellets in 10" at 40, went & got some magnum blend today 3" 2oz 5,6,7 mix 1187 26" barrel, rem super full choke (got 170 count in 10" at 40), now I'm ready to go, use the old gun for a backup now
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

Nimrodmar10

Let's not jump to any conclusions.  No one  said they are shooting lead. Nitro sells a very effective load of  3   1/2",  2  7/16 oz  of # 5 Hevi Shot.

HogBiologist

I have the neck of a turkey killed with Hevi weight Fed #7.  All the pellets penetrated the spine and skull completely.  I have no doubts about HTL #7.  Anyone who does not believe in the HTL #7 has their head in the sand and i bet believes the world is flat.  It is a new ball game folks, get onboard or get left out.  Lead #4-6 is perfect for killing turkeys.  But in HTL, #6HS- #7 HS or #8 - #9 TSS is the cats meow.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

swampy

Smaller denser shots allow higher shot count, will lose it's velocity slower at extended ranges, and penetrate further at extended ranges. Throw a volley ball and a baseball at ninety mph hour which one goes further why density and size. Now think how easy a needle can penetrate compared to a railroad spike smaller penetrates better.  Number 5 lead great turkey killer. Personally i'll take those htl 7's. Higher velociy at extended ranges, check. More penetration at extended ranges, check. Higher pellet count on target at extended ranges, check. Obviously there's not much of an arguement for what's the most deadly. It's ok to just be happy with dead and it's great to be an ethical hunter but being more deadly is more ethical than just deadly anytime as long as it's not to damaging to the game/prey.IMOP
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

bad0351

You guys seem to be missing my point on ethics.....I do have a problem with shot size smaller that 6s...lead or htl...but my main concern is with those that think it's perfectly acceptable to take shots at 55, 60, 65 yds and beyond.
No matter how many pellets are in an over the counter load...which most people only have the means to shoot, at those ranges the shot pattern begins falling apart very rapidly...with holes developing in the pattern as well.
the way some here talk it wont be long with todays "super improved equipment" that they will be taking shots at birds 80 yds beyond...I mean really, come on, a shell is only one part of the equation....the gun and choke combo does the work of putting the payload downrange and as Pure Gold chokes say....the chokes they build are NOT meant to extend the effective range of the shell....just put a better pattern together at reasonable and ethical hunting range.
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

archery1

my buddy knows butski and walker personally. they have other people calling for them most of the time. walker is the most arrogant guy since his game ear has takin him the profits. there is a guy in sullivan that calls , records for these guys and he does the calling without any calls. just his mouth. now thats old school indeed.. i had a chance to hear this guy in feb., and he is awesome. what a talent
Take a kid hunting

WildSpur

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 16, 2011, 01:48:05 PM
Quote from: bad0351 on March 16, 2011, 01:34:00 PM
Even from randy Johnson??

Game departments frown on his use.  I'm not sure why...

I think it is his mullet.  He has too much mullitude.   :you_rock:

Cluck more, yelp less

longspur

want to Thank each one of you for the shared information you have put out on this website to educate the benefits of HTL.  WHICH BY THE WAY INCLUDES ME!!!!
[/quote]
Me too. Just started last year. chose #7s this year just in time for the (bad batch). If you told me 3 or 4 years ago to use 7s I would question your knowledge. Turns out mine would be in question. Penetration is not even a thought any more. Only question is, can you put the shot in there

stinkpickle

Quote from: archery1 on March 19, 2011, 12:41:10 AM
my buddy knows butski and walker personally. they have other people calling for them most of the time. walker is the most arrogant guy since his game ear has takin him the profits. there is a guy in sullivan that calls , records for these guys and he does the calling without any calls. just his mouth. now thats old school indeed.. i had a chance to hear this guy in feb., and he is awesome. what a talent

The Bob Walker on the show is not same Bob Walker that started Walker's Game Ear.  He's a guide from Alabama's Bent Creek Lodge.  And why would Paul Butski have other people calling for him most of the time??? 

BigGobbler

Quote from: bbcoach on March 16, 2011, 10:59:46 AM
If you guys want to read what the HTL crowd here on OG is up against, you need to go to, Outdoor Life.com ASK A QUESTION section, and read the answers to BIG RED C'S question for a dedicated 12 or 20 guage gun that will kill turkeys to 50+ yards.  These guys, that give Big Red answers, believe you shouldn't shoot a turkey unless he is inside 30 yards.

With the technology we have with Today's Guns, Chokes and HTL shotshells, these guys are lost in the Stone Age.
Maybe we need to return to being Cavemen and bludgeon the birds to death, after we run them down.  LOL

We need to continue educating our fellow hunters on Today's technology and the limitations of HTL.

I want to Thank each one of you for the shared information you have put out on this website to educate the benefits of HTL.  WHICH BY THE WAY INCLUDES ME!!!!

If you want to shot them a mile out its your choice do what you want. Everyone has there own way,no way is right or wrong if its legal.
I choose to shot no Jakes and a Gobbler needs to be at 20 yards or less and must gobble and strut before I shot. Its just what I do.

Nimrodmar10

If you want to shot them a mile out its your choice do what you want. Everyone has there own way,no way is right or wrong if its legal.
I choose to shot no Jakes and a Gobbler needs to be at 20 yards or less and must gobble and strut before I shot. Its just what I do.
[/quote]

BigGobbler
I applaud you on the restrictions you've put on yourself when turkey hunting. It tells me a lot about what kind of turkey hunter you are.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to disagree with you about "no way is right or wrong if its legal" Something doesn't have to be legaly wrong to be ethically wrong. It's legal to shoot at a turkey at a range that has a good chance of wounding a bird instead of killing it, but it's ethically wrong. We need to remember that turkeys, like any other wildlife, if they get just one hole of any size in their stomach or intestines will die 100% of the time. It may not be quick and it may not be pretty but it will happen. We owe it to the turkeys do try to kill as quickly and humanely as possible at whatever range that may be.. As a friend of mine says: "Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean and Apologize to no one."