turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Turkey Thugs Shoot ......

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 16, 2011, 09:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad0351

What is foolish? The fact that someone could possibly have the unmitigated gall to just disagree with you?
The first post asked for thoughts on the subject...that's all, not a lecture on ballistics...(On which I'm sure your expert)...
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

Gobble!

Quote from: bad0351 on March 16, 2011, 11:43:18 AM
What is foolish? The fact that someone could possibly have the unmitigated gall to just disagree with you?
The first post asked for thoughts on the subject...that's all, not a lecture on ballistics...(On which I'm sure your expert)...

have you not seen the patterns people have got with the H13 #7s?
have you not seen the penetration tests people have done using the H13 #7?
have you not seen all the reports of birds killed at 50+ yards using the H13 #7s?
if you are comfortable using lead 6s or even 5s then it is foolish to believe that hevi #7s are unethical when all the data goes against that. Sure these birds are tough but we arent shooting elephants here.

allaboutshooting

I've also been watching that show on a pretty regular basis. I like the idea that they ask a variety of hunters the same questions. They sometimes agree on a subject and sometimes differ, kind of what you'd expect from any group of hunters or shooters.

They also seem to show hunts in different parts of the country and seem to be showing more actual hunting clips on the most recent episodes than on the earlier ones.

Good show.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bassmaster1228

shot size dont matter to me. i call em in so close all i need is the muzzle blast!

seariously. i can call em in close! so that means more money in my pocket and i dont have to break the bank to buy 5 shells

bad0351

I've seen all the data and opinions....if you think its ethical to shoot at 50 yds and beyond, that's fine...have you ever had a bird flinch right when you pull the trigger? Or have you ever flinched dropping the hammer....at the ranges your talking about a few #7s or 8s are gonna wound not kill...on the other hand...at 40 and under a few #5s?.....dead bird...shot size is a choice we all make but nh outlaws any shot smaller than 6 for a reason...ethics....

trkehunr93

I say shoot what you like and are comfortable with regardless of how much it costs.  Your perference is your preference!  Lead or Hevi, both will kill a turkey.  They can only be so dead!  I hunt with a fellow that up until a couple of years ago only shot 2 3/4" Winchester #4's and he started spring gobbler hunting when you were the only man in the woods in April and May.

stinkpickle

Gobble!

Quote from: bad0351 on March 16, 2011, 12:09:56 PM
I've seen all the data and opinions....if you think its ethical to shoot at 50 yds and beyond, that's fine...have you ever had a bird flinch right when you pull the trigger? Or have you ever flinched dropping the hammer....at the ranges your talking about a few #7s or 8s are gonna wound not kill...on the other hand...at 40 and under a few #5s?.....dead bird...shot size is a choice we all make but nh outlaws any shot smaller than 6 for a reason...ethics....

its not ethics....they have no idea what hevi #7s are capable of let alone TSS #8s and #9s
A few #7s will kill. It only takes 1.

bad0351

I can throw a baseball and hit a turkey in the head and kill it.....but not the body...wing...legs beyond 50 yds

stinkpickle

I'm guessing TSS #8's will out penetrate a thrown baseball at 50 yards.   :D

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: trkehunr93 on March 16, 2011, 12:14:30 PM
   I hunt with a fellow that up until a couple of years ago only shot 2 3/4" Winchester #4's and he started spring gobbler hunting when you were the only man in the woods in April and May.

Along time ago in a galaxy far far away.............Turkey Hunters used #4 shot  :TooFunny:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

buck_hunter21

I tend to agree  :laugh: However, I know guys (actually almost every one who is noton this sight) who will want to get into heated arguments with me when I simply imply that they do not the capabilities of Hevi #7's.
Spill Blood

bad0351

Even from randy Johnson??

stinkpickle

Quote from: bad0351 on March 16, 2011, 01:34:00 PM
Even from randy Johnson??

Game departments frown on his use.  I'm not sure why...

Todd1700

I'm sorry but anyone that thinks denser than lead 6's or 7's are unethical and that shots at 50 yards are still a poke and hope deal with some of todays loads and chokes are just woefully uneducated on the equipment and ammo that's out there today. And that's as nice as I can say that.

I shot a turkey two years ago with a 3 inch Winchester Extended range number 6. Their version of a DTL shell. The gobbler was 40 yards away and had his left side facing me. It not only killed him cleanly but when I got him home and cleaned him I discovered that some of the pellets from the lower part of my pattern had hit him in the upper left breast. Those pellets had gone through his wing, his breast feathers, the meat of his left breast, his breast plate, and were lodged half way through the meat of  his right breast. With body penetration like that from 40 yards away, I have no doubt in the effectiveness of smaller sized DTL shot on a turkeys head and neck at much greater distances.