turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Extended Range

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 16, 2011, 12:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd1700

Here is what I used to get with the 3 1/2 inch Win Extended 6's at 40 yards. They may not put up the numbers of some shells but as nyhunter said they were always consistent and the patterns were pretty even. I have often considered going back to them. They really knocked the snot out of gobblers at 40 yards.

archery1

are the win xtnd elite the old stock ?  i saw 2 different types of the win xtnd shells.. i shot the hevi shot 6 an 7's  3" at 25 nd 40 yds. i got 179 in a 10 at 40yds with the 7's. i would like to try the winchester xtnd but not sure which ones to get ?????
Take a kid hunting

Todd1700

Quotei saw 2 different types of the win xtnd shells.

They make a waterfowl load and a turkey load. The waterfowl loads have less shot in them. For turkey the 3 inch number 6 load is 1 3/4 oz and the 3 1/2 inch load is 2 oz. But the turkey loads are clearly marked as turkey loads.

shootumindaface

Quote from: archery1 on March 18, 2011, 11:51:12 PM
are the win xtnd elite the old stock ?  i saw 2 different types of the win xtnd shells.. i shot the hevi shot 6 an 7's  3" at 25 nd 40 yds. i got 179 in a 10 at 40yds with the 7's. i would like to try the winchester xtnd but not sure which ones to get ?????

Win had the original Extended range (no elite) but I believe they were only in production for a few years than the change.. But as far as I know its the only change to these shells... Maybe some of the Still target guys know..

allaboutshooting

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 19, 2011, 09:37:13 AM
Quote from: archery1 on March 18, 2011, 11:51:12 PM

Win had the original Extended range (no elite) but I believe they were only in production for a few years than the change.. But as far as I know its the only change to these shells... Maybe some of the Still target guys know..

The original XRHD shell was manufactured only in 2005. In 2006 the shot and wad were changed. The shot was plated with tin. The WXRHD shells have carried the "Elite" badge since 2006.The wad material also changed in 2006 and appears to have changed several times over the years since 2006.

In 2010 we shot WXRHD current production shells at a still target shoot in Medina, Ohio. Those shells shot pretty well and as close to the original shells as any we've seen in years. We even looked at the wads to see if they'd changed back to the original wad, which performed so well and it dd look similar.

Changes to shotshells are always aggravating to us turkey hunters (and still target shooters) who spend a lot of time, energy and money patterning our guns, more like rifles than shotguns but those changes just seem to happen from time to time.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."