turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Extended Range

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 16, 2011, 12:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just curious how people like these loads. Right now I shoot Hevi shot 3" 2oz #6s, and through a Benelli Supernova with a .665 IC its throwing 235-240 pellets in 10" at 40 yards. Has anyone tried the Extended Range 3" #6s through this particular setup? If so, would love to see some pattern pics. Thanks.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

gatrkyhntr70

Talk to Mike or Stuart @ Indian Creek they have done some testing in Benellis with the extended range.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

nyhunter

I shoot them out of my SBEII, they shoot better than the H-13. I have never had the issues with them that H-13 has, like bad leaky crimp, under sized shot, wrong weight of shot, and inconsistency's between shell's in the same box.

StruttinGobbler3

QuotePosted by: nyhunter  Posted on: Today at 05:29:35 AM 
Insert Quote 
I shoot them out of my SBEII, they shoot better than the H-13. I have never had the issues with them that H-13 has, like bad leaky crimp, under sized shot, wrong weight of shot, and inconsistency's between shell's in the same box.

What kind of numbers are you getting out of them at 40 yards? Thanks for the replies

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

WildSpur

I think you will not have as many pellets on target.  The Winchesters are 1/4 lighter and the pellets should be truer to their advertised size.

I have shot 2 birds with them and they were both hit hard!  I will definitely be trying them this year as I have a new set-up.

Cluck more, yelp less

bigrnyrs

I had a Stoeger 2000 with a 26" barrell. I had the FC did and shot a GT .655. I averaged 236 pellets in a 10" at 40 yards. What you are getting will be hard to beat. I need to mention I was getting thoise numbers out of the 3" 1.75oz Win XTD #6's. I was very pleased. You should be too!

Reloader

Very few can get H13 type patterns out of XR, but XR is still a good shell.  I've been able to get alittle better patterns than lead with XR, but it passes lead at 40yds as it holds it's pattern alittle longer.  I managed 50yd kill patterns with the 3" XR 6s you speak of in one rig.  Nice even patterns. It's not worth the prices alot of stores are asking for it  IMO. 

I believe Drum has the best XR patterns I've ever seen, but those were from the 3.5 version.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I have had trouble getting Hevi-13 #6 loads to pattern very good at all out of my guns.  I shot one good load with the 1.75oz #6 load and that has been it.  I used that same box of shells last time out with it and it sucked.  I won't be buying anymore Hevi-13 #6 loads.  

savduck

I shoot Winchester 3" 6 extended range winchesters out of a stoeger with IC 665.

The 2oz Hevi 13s had a more dense pattern, but then they also had more pellets. I chose the winchesters because they hit like a sledge hammer, more so to me than the Hevi's. The pattern isnt that much different. I havent counted pellets....its a bunch though.
Georgia Boy

StruttinGobbler3

Thanks for the input everybody. I had heard from a few hunting buddies that compared the two that the XR packed more knockdown than Hevi 13, as savduck said. I'm happy with the numbers I'm getting out of the Hevi 13, throws a nice dense, even pattern. But, if I could come close to matching that pattern with the XR and it does indeed pack more punch, that would be even better.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

savduck

I plan on running two or three shells through the gun Saturday to make sure the scope is still on. Ill take a few pictures if I do.

The place I shoot I have targets out to 55 yards( placed with a 200 foot tape). I have homemade targets on 8.5 X 11 paper. At 55 yards that paper is covered top to bottom. Again Im not counting pellets and drawing 10 inch rings, but I know that a bird 55 to 60 yards aint getting away with that pattern.
Georgia Boy

StruttinGobbler3

Thanks savduck, that would be great if you could put up a couple pics.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

bigrnyrs

The reason I metioned my patterns is because I think that the Stoeger and Benelli barrels are the same and thought the performance would be very close too. Hope it helped.

StruttinGobbler3

QuoteThe reason I metioned my patterns is because I think that the Stoeger and Benelli barrels are the same and thought the performance would be very close too. Hope it helped.

I appreciate the input. I know Stoeger is made by Benelli, and judging from the one that a buddy of mine owns the only differences in the Stoeger and Supernova is cosmetic. They seem to be essentially the same gun. I would think it could match any pattern the Supernova throws with the same load/choke in most cases.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

nyhunter

I average 173 in a 10in circle  at 40 yds . they are very consistent with even patterns.