OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard or Thugs, help (pics)

Started by WVHills, April 14, 2014, 03:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVHills

I shot both thinking the Longbeards would do better being the latest and greatest.  I did get slightly better numbers with them but may have pulled my shot a bit to the right with the XRs.

Both shots at 38 yrds.     870 20" barrel, both shells 3" 5 shot, Sumtoy .665.  47 degrees out.

Longbeards - 211 in 10"
Thugs - 184 in 10"

Like I said, I may have pulled the LBshot even though it got better numbers, the Thugs look like a more even pattern.  Either will kill a turkey, but does the LB appear to miss some gaps?  Because I pulled or the tight pattern?  I'm thinking too hard most likely....

jakesdad

Either would work,thugs look a little more forgiving.Wouldnt fret about it too much.One plus is the thugs are cheaper.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

surehuntsalot

I do like the Thugs for a good overall hunting pattern
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

340_Dart

Do you have any other work done to the gun? My 21" 870 barely breaks 100 with lead, and 120s with longbeards, both 3" #5s with a JellyHead .660

WVHills

Quote from: 340_Dart on April 18, 2014, 05:44:25 PM
Do you have any other work done to the gun? My 21" 870 barely breaks 100 with lead, and 120s with longbeards, both 3" #5s with a JellyHead .660

No sir.  Other than the different choke.  I haven't deep cleaned or polished the barrel.  I bought the gun at a pawn shop and it was bone stock.

WyoHunter

Either one will be effective. Shoot the one you feel most comfortable with.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

WildSpur

I think your answer will be in your 20 yard pattern.  For me the longbeards were way too tight of a pattern.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Longshanks

Quote from: 340_Dart on April 18, 2014, 05:44:25 PM

Those numbers are not the norm with 5's.. I shoot a 21 bbl 870 that has been polished and my LB numbers are 211 with 3" 6's and 160's with 3" 5's LB's.  With lead shells it will turn 120's with 6's and just broke 100 with lead 5's after years of trying. Must be attributed to Sumtoy. They have figured out the LB XR's Highest 3" numbers I've ever heard of with 5's. If you can turn 180's with thugs I would hunt with nothing else.

trkehunr93

I would hunt both.  Too many guys get caught up in that 40 yrd. number.  Shoot'em at 20, make your decision from there.  90% of your shots are going to be inside 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikejd

Quote from: trkehunr93 on May 16, 2014, 08:35:01 AM
I would hunt both.  Too many guys get caught up in that 40 yrd. number.  Shoot'em at 20, make your decision from there.  90% of your shots are going to be inside 40.

Agreed. Of all the birds I have taken maybe 5 were at max range.
all the rest were 20 yds or closer.

OP as for your original question. Both of those numbers are good.
The Lb's patterned way better then the thugs in all of my guns bit at close range they are real tight.

Longshanks

Quote from: trkehunr93 on May 16, 2014, 08:35:01 AM

That's the truth. Although I have guns that turn high numbers in a 10 at 40 they are not necessarily the best set ups to hunt with especially in timber. The 10" circle at 40 gives us all something we can go by to determine how choke/shells pattern and it's been a great tool to measure by at a max distance. A good effective killing pattern at 40 I try to get for my max but the 20-30 yd pattern is what I like to get good coverage on as well. That is what has taken allot of testing out of my guns. Finding 12-15" pattern at 20yds and a killing pattern at 40. Well inside 40 is where I kill the majority of my turkeys.

COssman14

Long beards for me.

Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I say Thugs in the chamber, and Longbeards in the magazine.  I prefer the Thugs pattern.