turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#5 or #6 Longbeards

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 14, 2014, 10:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

If you were to try the Win Longbeards, in a Browning BPS 3.5" gun, would you try the #5 or #6s first?

darn2ten

I've done quite a bite of testing with the LB's in multiple guns, 3 of which were Browning's. I don't know which choke your shooting, but the best one I have found in all 3 was a .665 Indian Creek. My Browning is a 3" Invector Plus gun, and shoots the LB 5's right at 200 in the 10" at 40 and the LB 6's in the 220's. For me that was a no brainer, I went with the 5's for the added energy. With the 3.5 BPS we tested the 5's stayed around 200 as well, but the 3.5 6's went between 240 and 250. If that were my gun I would still shoot the 5's because 200 is more than enough to get the job done. I'm not sure which way he decided to go but both will work. The patterns were nice and even with both the 5's and 6's, just grab a box of both and see what your gun prefers. If I didn't want to spend the money for both I would just buy the 5's. I'm pretty sure you would be satisfied. After trying them in Remington, Browning, Mossberg, Baikal, and Benelli, the 5's performed great in each one.

wisconsinteacher

I am leaning more towards the #5 for the down range energy.  I would think a #5 at a little past 40 yards would work if I misjudge the distance by a few yards.

darn2ten

I've watched 4 die at the hands of LB 5's this year. Two of which were lets just say misjudged stretched shots. The others were 26 and 15 yds. All died in convincing fashion. I shot my Browning 3 times at 40 and got 203, 188, and 197. Shot it at 50 twice and got 122 and 129, this is with the 3" 5. After reading about a test I decided to try it myself just for fun. Heavier metal soup can at 50 yds., LB 5's penetrated both sides and exited. The 6's penetrated one side and dented the other but did not exit. I do not condone long shots and get no thrill out of it. One of the misjudged shots was mine and truly a mistake that blew my mind when I stepped it off. All of this is to say that yes, if you make a small error in judgement that you do have a cushion.

DirtNap647

ohiomossyoak

I dont have a Browning(yet) but I do lust for a BPS :drool:..I chose LB 3in 6s out of my Mossberg 835 because the only options locally was 4s or 6s.Had I been able to choose 5s I probably would have..
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

Borden811

I couldn't find 5s either, so I bought 6s in the 3.5 inch flavor. I just shot them today and my benelli will shoot them in the 265+ range with two different chokes. I guess I'm fine with that :)

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

beagler

Never Misses

Clint Shook

My 3.5" bps likes the 5's with an IC 665.   

wibirdhunter

I'd try 5's first if you can find them locally.

If you're ordering I'd just grab a box of each.

Captaintopwater

5s if you can find them and they pattern well.

SumToy

With this shell I would run the 4's.  It is putting 120 to 140 with 4's
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

JuniorPre 360