turkeys for tomorrow

835/24inch barrel/TruGlo Gobble-Stopper Extreme(.695)/LB XR 3inch/6s

Started by ohiomossyoak, April 12, 2014, 03:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiomossyoak

Mossberg 835/24inch ported barrel
Gobble-Stopper Extreme choke(.695)
Winchester LongBeard XR 3inch/6s
Laser ranged 30yards/ Outside temp 65 degrees/North wind @8mph blowing from muzzle to target

I recently put Williams FireSight adjustable slugger sights on the vent rib..I shot 2 3/4in game loads between 15 an 20yards to get a rough zero for my sights

First shot  30yards from muzzle to target /no pellet count done,but clearly alot of density..Shot was WAY low versus my intended POA

Second shot 30yards from muzzle to target was still low but closer,and I did not take a picture

Third shot 30yards from muzzle to target.Aint to bad but I am new to all this..I counted 175 in the 10inch the first time and  my wife counted 189(Go figure)..

So what now? Do I need to adjust left and up or just one or the other?.

"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

ohiomossyoak

"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)

Tom Foolery

sugarray

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 13, 2014, 09:30:01 AM
I would go up and a pinch left and reshoot @ 40.

:icon_thumright:

And try a little tighter choke and you'll improve those numbers and be really happy with your 40 yd numbers.  I shoot the same gun and a pure gold .670.  My patterns are posted here.  The truflo ssx is a great choke.  It is .670 as well

learn2hide

I would move sight up and a bit left...your numbers will easily kill a turkey and if as the other posters said you shoot at 40 yards and your pattern holds pretty consistent then you are certainly ready to hunt.  If you are interested in more numbers that gun is capable of more.  Even though we all do it, you should worry less about the sheer numbers game and more about the even spread in 12-15 inches so you have some leeway on a bird that moves or a shot that gets jerked.  Good luck.
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: sugarray on April 13, 2014, 09:46:41 PM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 13, 2014, 09:30:01 AM
I would go up and a pinch left and reshoot @ 40.

:icon_thumright:

And try a little tighter choke and you'll improve those numbers and be really happy with your 40 yd numbers.  I shoot the same gun and a pure gold .670.  My patterns are posted here.  The truflo ssx is a great choke.  It is .670 as well
I plan on trying the Truglo SSX in the off season,polishing the barrel because I am not happy  with the look of it internally and adding a Limbsaver recoil pad(those 3in turk shells beat me up)
Quote from: learn2hide on April 13, 2014, 11:22:33 PM
I would move sight up and a bit left...your numbers will easily kill a turkey and if as the other posters said you shoot at 40 yards and your pattern holds pretty consistent then you are certainly ready to hunt.  If you are interested in more numbers that gun is capable of more.  Even though we all do it, you should worry less about the sheer numbers game and more about the even spread in 12-15 inches so you have some leeway on a bird that moves or a shot that gets jerked.  Good luck.

Thanks for the advice..I got a 3 day weekend coming up an hope to get everything finished up gun wise during that time

ohiomossyoak

UPDATED

Day 2 of patterning..I adjusted my sights Up and left a tad.I shot one shell at 30 yards(much better POI now and pellet count) also 40yards and "further".I did not take pics of those shots but I did count hits in the 10in(30yrd=266 hits...40yd= 204 hits...Further out=142 hits..

I did however get a pic of a closer range(18yd) that many had been asking about.As most of us thought its damm tight.I did not count hits as it seems redundant when looking at the pic

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.