turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeards XRs Ported Versus Not ported Choke

Started by ohiomossyoak, April 11, 2014, 02:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiomossyoak

I heard that the Long-Beard XRs prefer a non ported choke vs a ported choke.Anyone know much about that?I'm planning on trying some 3in/6s in a 24in ported barrel 835 and I was going to use the factory .695 Ulti-full non ported choke.But my buddy surprised me a  Ported Gobble Stopper Extreme .695 choke.I dont have enough shells to do extensive testing and stock is low to buy more.So provided I get acceptable patterns from one I dont I try the other choke..I am leaning towards the aftermarket choke at this point...Anyone else have any thoughts the any of the above? 
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

eddie234

What ive read it dont seem to make a difference. Try a search. There was a whole thread devoted to just that topic.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Skeeterbait

Individual choke comparisons may vary but in general you will get better patterns with ported chokes using any shell with a conventional wad.  Flight control wads are an exception and should not be shot thru a ported choke.

The ports are there to grab and slow down the wad a bit allowing the shot to exit the wad sooner with less chance of the wad disturbing them in flight.  Any shell with conventional wad will benefit from this including Long Beards.

ohiomossyoak

Thanks for the replies folks..After using Google to search( ie Longbeards XRs Ported Versus Not ported Choke/oldgobbler.com),I did find some threads that way.I didn't have much luck with the in house search feature.But like most things it was most likely user error :TooFunny:
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

msgobblergetter

Quote from: Skeeterbait on April 11, 2014, 03:29:53 PM
Individual choke comparisons may vary but in general you will get better patterns with ported chokes using any shell with a conventional wad.  Flight control wads are an exception and should not be shot thru a ported choke.

The ports are there to grab and slow down the wad a bit allowing the shot to exit the wad sooner with less chance of the wad disturbing them in flight.  Any shell with conventional wad will benefit from this including Long Beards.

An proven exception to this would be the primos tight was choke. It has performed very well with the flight control wad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crawl79

I'm using a Hevi .662 choke that is ported and getting excellent patterns with LB's. Already killed two birds with them this year.