turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3 1/2" vs 3" vs 2 & 3/4" Experiences

Started by keehnel1414, April 11, 2014, 12:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bammerslammer 50

I read a book called "turkey hunting spring and fall" by mr. Doug camp. Granted the book was published in the 80s long before all the new technology in load and shell combos, but he said you are never over gunned when it comes to turkey hunting. I tend to agree with this. Turkeys are allot better at not letting me kill them than I am at killing them. I like 3.5in shells cause I feel it gives me that much more of an advantage. If I owned a 10ga and knew where to find shells for it I'd probably carry one. Just my  :z-twocents:

g8rvet

Not sure if the OP is still reading this, but the Benelli Nova has a recoil dampener that screws in to the back stock-they are around $70 if I recall.  I used one when I was on the 3.5" bandwagon for geese and it make a huge difference.  It also makes the gun balance better.  With that said, I switched to 3" loads and killed geese as well as 3.5" and saved myself some money. 

I gave away my Nova because the POA and POI could never be brought close, no matter what load and choke I tried. Most expensive free gun I ever had. Was glad to see it go.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

deerbasshunter3

Last year, I thought I had to have 3.5" shells to be successful. It only took two shots at the range and the, what I can only assume, overcharged shells busted my gun up (broke off and bent the ejector port cover and spring). I now have no desire to shoot 3.5" shells. Luckily for me, it was only a $10 fix.