turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

shock gobble

Started by Lee Lobbestael, April 09, 2014, 11:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Lobbestael

Hey guys somewhat of a Newbie here to turkey hunting.  Turkey season starts here in a week and a half but I am not hearing a lot of gobbling at first light. I know there are plenty of gobblers around but they are not making much noise. Could it be that its still a little early? It just started to feel like spring here in Michigan within the last couple weeks. Is it a good idea to try to get turkeys on the roost to shock gobble to locate them when they aren't making much noise? If so what is the best way to do this?

GobbleNut

I personally swear by using a locator call to find gobblers early in the morning and, in some places, right at dark in the evening.  Any loud, abrupt sound will often get them to gobble.  Shock gobbling is an involuntary response by gobblers to sudden loud sounds.  That is why if there are several gobblers together in a group and one of them starts to gobble, usually all of them will at just about the same time.  When hunting unfamiliar areas, it is a trick that every turkey hunter should learn to use.  The key to a good locator call is that it has to be LOUD, regardless of what type of sound you make.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: Lee Lobbestael on April 09, 2014, 11:03:40 PMIs it a good idea to try to get turkeys on the roost to shock gobble to locate them when they aren't making much noise?

Are you the only person hunting these birds? I use locaters alot when I'm hunting private ground that I have sole permission to be on, but if other hunters are involved and I know where they like to roost, I will leave the locater in my pocket. Every gobble he makes before I can kill him is every gobble that another hunter can use to close his distance on him.

The more people that is around, the less I want to hear a turkey gobble. :z-twocents:

Lee Lobbestael

Well I should be the only one hunting them. Its my land combined with my neighbors. Generally they make a racket every morning in the spring but they haven't been gobbling alot so far. Is it a little early? It only recently started to get warm. What is your guys' favorite method to get them to shock gobble? I have one of those shake back and forth gobble calls

Dtrkyman

Better weather, more gobbling!  Use an owl hooter or coyote howler early then switch to a crow call or aggressive yelps and cuts later on!

Erno86

I would wait for a original owl hoot from an owl himself. early in the morning. If not...I like to owl hoot with my mouth an vocal cords. Sometimes tom's will shock gobble to goose calls. Anytime a plane or helicopter flies close overhead...listen for a shock gobble. A peacock call might work, but I have to plug my fingers in my ears while making the call; but the sound will probably travel a mile.

I've had pileated woodpecker calls work for me. A hawk call sometimes works, but my wooden crow call works the best. Keep the crow caw sequence short...so you can listen for his shock gobble. Use your vocal cords {hum} while making the caws. Sound loud and angry...like a crow who has just discovered a hawk or an owl --- CawuuuuGH, CAW CAW!!!

TnRidgeRunner

Man, just sit out there and listen. Right around grey light let out a "who cooks for yooooooooouwaaaaah" with your mouth and if they are there you'll know it. Most of the time you won't even have to do the locater at first light...just let em warm up. "Never was real talkative soon as I woke up"

appalachianstruttstopper

Not sure about Michigan, but here in the south the birds seem to be a little behind. Don't know if our unusual winter has pushed them back or what. Seems they are about 2 weeks behind here and also seemed to be behind in the panhandle of FL a few weeks ago.

BigAL64

I like an owl call in the early morning. When the sun gets up I like a goose call. There are allot of lakes around where I hunt and It is a natural sound but loud enough to get a response.
Shoot em in the face

Gooserbat

I for one am a fan of a coyote howler.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DirtNap647

they always seem to answer the haint also

Erno86

You can try a red fox's blood curdling mating scream...or just scream like a banshee ---  Even a car/truck door slamming --- might elicit a shock gobble.

Jasonb53

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on April 11, 2014, 12:03:55 PM
Not sure about Michigan, but here in the south the birds seem to be a little behind. Don't know if our unusual winter has pushed them back or what. Seems they are about 2 weeks behind here and also seemed to be behind in the panhandle of FL a few weeks ago.

Agreed

HillCritter

Anything loud. The easiest call to use is a crow call in my opinion. Even early in the morning I use a crow call. I do also use an owl call but they don't always get as loud. A loud natural sound will work. If its a still morning you can be pretty far away and they'll still gobble but if its a windy morning you may have to get closer to the roost.
And my idea of heaven is chasing white tailed bucks.

surehuntsalot

If the owls don't start on their own,I will get them started with my hooter
it's not the harvest,it's the chase