turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oklahoma Jackpot!

Started by GobbleNut, April 09, 2014, 03:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Well, after having our Florida Osceola hunt fall apart at the last minute, we got skunked by the public-land birds in Tennessee and things were not looking good for the start of the 2014 spring hunts for old GobbleNut.  Things started to pick up in Texas when I scored on a couple of nice Rios on consecutive days there.
We then headed to Oklahoma for our last two and a half days of hunting.  Things were looking bleak there until the last ten minutes before sundown on the second evening when a series of unforeseen circumstances put me in a position to harvest my second-best gobbler ever.  I lucked into a four-bearded bird that l think will score in the low 90's.
...Will post pictures when I get them uploaded.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

redarrow

......low 90s. Shazaaaaaaaam. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

anthonyjhallen

hookedspur

I cant wait to see the pictures/  Hurry up a little  ;D
CRUSADERS

vicksburg

Congrats, Mr. Jim!! Sounds like a fantastic bird!
]

Woodsman4God

Way to go man, that makes taking the biggest bird for Crusaders 2014 a little harder.
Congrats and way to go

pics man pics cant wait to see that monster

GobbleNut

Here's a few pictures of my OK bird. Sorry for the two small ones,...I can't figure out how to blow them up without losing definition.

I am in a dilemma about him now that I need some help with.  I initially thought he was a four-bearded bird, but after looking more closely, I am not sure he would not be considered to be a five-bearded gobbler. At first inspection, I thought he just had one main beard that was split, but upon closer inspection, it may be that it is actually two beards.  It is such a close call that I really couldn't say for sure one way or the other. 

I'm not going to loose any sleep over it either way, but it will make a difference of about 18 points to the team depending on how it is scored.  I will ask for a decision from the judging panel if we need to, but before I do that, I want to get the opinions of my teammates about what you think.  As a four-beard, he will score about 84.  As a five, he would score about 102. 

I thought I was pretty good about determining whether a beard was just split or not, but this one has me stumped.  The two beards have two individual sheaths, but they are so close to each other that I am not certain about it.

hookedspur

It LOOKS like a 5 beard then he is a MONSTER .
WHAT A BIRD Congrats Buddyl.
CRUSADERS

honker22

I'd call him 5.  Looks pretty clear from the pic.

Awesome bird!  Congrats
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Gooserbat

Now I'm not on your team but that's a stud of a bird.  Congrats...on one fine Okie Bird. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

vicksburg

Looks like the 2 main beards are individual, and have skin between them to me.  That is 5 beards, imo!
]

Woodsman4God

Well for the teams sake looks like 5 to me, however if he was a 4 bearded bird I would have a better chance to win the Crusaders top bird  (  :TooFunny: like that will ever happen) so I say 4......J/k looks like a 5 bearded bird to me definite split at the base. Congrats again that is a stud.

BigAL64

I am not on any team and I say it has 5 beards!! There is skin separating them. What a stud!! My favorite thing is spurs though. How long were it's spurs?
Shoot em in the face

anthonyjhallen

Looks like 5 to me. There is obvious skin in between.