OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tri Star Youth 20 gauge

Started by Jay, February 08, 2011, 05:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

#2409 Semi Auto youth 20 gauge. New in box, comes with 3 chokes, 2 stocks, 24" barrel. Weight 5.9#s. Color Black. What is it worth, and feedback? Son is looking at one today for the grandson.

surehuntsalot

I,ve heard some good things about them,if I ever run across one at the right price,I,m getting one for my grandson
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

shootumindaface

I know a guy that owns a bunch of high dollar 20s and claims these are as good as anyting

Jay

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 08, 2011, 10:18:56 PM
I,ve heard some good things about them,if I ever run across one at the right price,I,m getting one for my grandson
Son has the opportunity to buy 2 at $300 each. I told him to buy them both after some research. To be honest I hadn't heard anything about the brand before. He said the gun fits his 8 year old real well because of the weight, and a semi auto for $300 is unreal.

neal

My experience stay away from them, had problems with them when we had them at one of our NWTF banquets, few unhappy people. We had to buy them back from the people that won them because Tri star was 0 help. Not a good deal.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

msgobblergetter

The same basic design as Smith Wesson 1020.  I have a 1020 and it is less than satisfactory when shooting light loads such as dove and target loads.  Not sure about turkey loads.  It hangs up a pretty good bit on light loads.

Jay

Quote from: neal on February 09, 2011, 11:01:00 AM
My experience stay away from them, had problems with them when we had them at one of our NWTF banquets, few unhappy people. We had to buy them back from the people that won them because Tri star was 0 help. Not a good deal.
Were they hanging up shells on injection. That was the earlier issue. Supposedly on the newer models not a problem.

Jay

Son bought the 2 available, so we'll see this weekend how the one for my grandson shoots. I had a high recommendation on this particular gun, so should be fine. Duh, I finally figured out why I couldn't find the #24109, because it was in the 2010 catalog, not 2011. Book from TriStar $519, so definitely price is right at $300. We have an outside shot at 2 more, so told him to grab.

msgobblergetter

Quote from: Jay on February 09, 2011, 11:39:49 AM
Quote from: neal on February 09, 2011, 11:01:00 AM
Were they hanging up shells on injection. That was the earlier issue. Supposedly on the newer models not a problem.

Not sure.  My 1020 came with two gas cylinders... One for heavy and the other for light loads.  It hangs on ejection.  I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and it doesn't do any good on mine.  I would have just assumed paying an extra $200 and got and a 11-87 or something else.  Either way, I ended up trading the 1020 off last year, so I'm ok now.