Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

New set up: TC Encore 12 ga., Long Beard XR #6 3", Indian Creek choke

Started by turkeyhunter4life, April 06, 2014, 09:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukas929

Whatever floats your boat, but I think you should post a 20 yard pattern. There are plenty of guys who won't shoot these because they are too tight...

Spurcollecta

Quote from: Lukas929 on June 01, 2014, 02:05:57 PM
Whatever floats your boat, but I think you should post a 20 yard pattern. There are plenty of guys who won't shoot these because they are too tight...

Lol, I know what my gun will do at 20 and more importantly I know how to shoot. You shoot what you want and let everyone else do the same.

Lukas929

I just wanted to see what it looked like at 20 being that it's so tight at 40 for the sole reason I'm curious, you can chill out and shoot whatever you want. I have never shot a turkey past 35 yards and I never have time to perfectly line up my shot so this pattern would be useless to me. Sooner than later I can guarantee you will miss inside 20 with this if you do enough hunting.

Spurcollecta

Quote from: Lukas929 on June 01, 2014, 04:46:34 PM
I just wanted to see what it looked like at 20 being that it's so tight at 40 for the sole reason I'm curious, you can chill out and shoot whatever you want. I have never shot a turkey past 35 yards and I never have time to perfectly line up my shot so this pattern would be useless to me. Sooner than later I can guarantee you will miss inside 20 with this if you do enough hunting.

You need to scroll down and look and you'll see a 20yd pattern

If I do enough hunting?! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I bet I've got more beards and spurs laying in the floorboard of my truck rite now than you've ever killed in your lifetime

Spurcollecta

Lukas929

The best part about this is that I was never talking to you to begin with, my first reply was to the OP. I never even realized you had butted in on it and that I wasnt talking to him until the last post. Also am I missing something? I cannot find his 20 yard pattern. One more thing, that is pretty disturbing you just let them sit in your truck regardless if its your daily driver or not but I do see a cpl nice spurs at least.

Spurcollecta

Quote from: Lukas929 on June 01, 2014, 05:31:08 PM
The best part about this is that I was never talking to you to begin with, my first reply was to the OP. I never even realized you had butted in on it and that I wasnt talking to him until the last post. Also am I missing something? I cannot find his 20 yard pattern. One more thing, that is pretty disturbing you just let them sit in your truck regardless if its your daily driver or not but I do see a cpl nice spurs at least.

Disturbing? That sounds like something a weenie washer would say

Lukas929

Yep, disturbing. Driving around with floor boards full of turkey legs an beards says a lot about someone. I can only imagine how truly disgusting your trailer home/yard/hygiene is. There's a word for people of your sort but I'm not too big into name calling so I'll just stop here.
Take care my fellow turkey hunter.

Spurcollecta

Hey now, you can talk about a lot of things but not my trailer!!

Sniff.. Sniff....

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Very nice tight pattern.

Regarding the back and forth going on:

I've become a fan of a bigger hunting pattern, after chasing tight patterns.  I've definitely missed a bird before.  I've also shot a lot of still targets off hand from both a seated and standing position.  When I stay focused I can shoot the bullseye up close no problem. 

But I've sat in cramped positions on tree roots and hard ground before, and held my gun still until my hands fell asleep.  Things happen when you're hunting. 

I'm warming up to the idea of a more open, more forgiving pattern; but the tradeoff needs to be nice even coverage.  It limits your max range a little, but increases your margin for error.  This is probably the reason why I haven't tried Longbeard yet.  I'm sure I will, but my best Lead patterns without Longbeard are already starting to give me what I want.  My Rhino choke is throwing an even 7" pattern plus flyers at 20 Yards, starting to open up at 30.  The pattern at 44 is not dense, but it's still a big even pattern.  Good enough for the true blue "40 and no more" guys.  My Indian Creek choke does better at 40+, but the pattern isn't as even at 20 Yards.  I guess the decision comes down to woods versus fields.

trkehunr93

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on July 13, 2014, 10:06:53 PM

I've become a fan of a bigger hunting pattern, after chasing tight patterns. 

I'm warming up to the idea of a more open, more forgiving pattern; but the tradeoff needs to be nice even coverage.  It limits your max range a little, but increases your margin for error.  This is probably the reason why I haven't tried Longbeard yet.  I'm sure I will, but my best Lead patterns without Longbeard are already starting to give me what I want.  My Rhino choke is throwing an even 7" pattern plus flyers at 20 Yards, starting to open up at 30.  The pattern at 44 is not dense, but it's still a big even pattern.  Good enough for the true blue "40 and no more" guys.  My Indian Creek choke does better at 40+, but the pattern isn't as even at 20 Yards.  I guess the decision comes down to woods versus fields.

AMEN!!!!  I preach this everytime I talk about shotgun patterns. Too many guys are trying to get all their eggs in one basket and eventually it will back fire on you.  As I've said before the latest and greatest is not always the best!

davisd9

Quote from: trkehunr93 on July 15, 2014, 09:28:43 AM

AMEN!!!!  I preach this everytime I talk about shotgun patterns. Too many guys are trying to get all their eggs in one basket and eventually it will back fire on you.  As I've said before the latest and greatest is not always the best!

:agreed:   :icon_thumright:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

DC1.

Quote from: trkehunr93 on July 15, 2014, 09:28:43 AM

This is why i'm going to a O/U shotgun. Two barrels,two chokes, one tight as i can get and one not to tight.  Best of both worlds.  :popcorn:

Lukas929

I admit I have not shot as many toms as most people on here seeing as I only picked up turkey hunting   a few years ago but I have shot quite a few since then including hens and I can honestly say I have never missed. None of the guns I have used shot over 125 in 10" and I doubt they broke 100. I don't take stupid shots and I don't shoot over 40 yards with the exception of my first tagged bird my first year when I didn't know what I was doing. It's fun chasing patterns but completely unnecessary if you're a good hunter.