turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

gun & bow in the blind hunt??

Started by 2eagles, April 05, 2014, 11:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I have goofy thoughts sometimes (often).  I would like to take a tom with my bow.  I like shooting toms with my shotgun.  One of my favorite places is a long walk in and I'm thinking about using a deer cart to haul in all of my gear including my Double Bull blind because I'm thinking about taking my gun and bow.  If I can get a bird in bow range, I'll try to arrow him.  If he hangs up outside of bow range, use my Browning.  Crazy - right?  But it might be fun!

ridgerunner

Quote from: 2eagles on April 05, 2014, 11:43:59 AM
I have goofy thoughts sometimes (often).  I would like to take a tom with my bow.  I like shooting toms with my shotgun.  One of my favorite places is a long walk in and I'm thinking about using a deer cart to haul in all of my gear including my Double Bull blind because I'm thinking about taking my gun and bow.  If I can get a bird in bow range, I'll try to arrow him.  If he hangs up outside of bow range, use my Browning.  Crazy - right?  But it might be fun!

Not crazy..guys do it all the time..I've carried all the stuff you mention and a tripod and camera also...not counting blind chairs, decoys and etc..If you want it bad enough you'll find a way.

renegade19

I'll be hunting solo with 2 permits come Illinois' 5th season.  I've given a lot of thought to doing the same myself.  Figured IF I got lucky, I could pull off a Bow/Gun double!  How cool would that be!

Ishi

The Spirit Lives On

memert116

Go for it man.....that's what it's all about.... :icon_thumright:

WyoHunter

Quote from: 2eagles on April 05, 2014, 11:43:59 AM
I'll be doing the same thing next week goofy or not!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ElkTurkMan

Sounds like a cool plan. Good luck.

Illini Tom

Quote from: renegade19 on April 05, 2014, 12:24:25 PM
I'll be hunting solo with 2 permits come Illinois' 5th season.  I've given a lot of thought to doing the same myself.  Figured IF I got lucky, I could pull off a Bow/Gun double!  How cool would that be!

i've thought about carrying gun and bow turkey hunting and was told it was illegal to carry both.
you cannot possess a firearm while archery deer hunting in illinois. just went to the IDNR site and couldnt find anything confirming that was also true for turkey hunting. hmmmm  ???

deadbuck

My 14 yr old took both weapons last weekend and sat in a blind that was already in place. A tom approached the blind but skirted it at the last minute so he ended up missing the tom at 30 with the bow. He then picked up the shotgun and missed him at 40 hurrying away. You may need to take 3 weapons. lol

Dtrkyman

I primarily bowhunt, if I were going to gun hunt I will not be in a blind. I do not see how it could be illegal here, either weapon is a legal means of taking a bird!