turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This weekend

Started by FullChoke, April 04, 2014, 06:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

This Saturday, Surehuntsalot and I will take to the hills and hollers at his club near Mendenhall, MS in an attempt to perform an exorcism on those poor feathered souls obviously possessed and tormented by legions of Dark Angels. Our solution? Whack 'em & Stack 'em.

On the Tennessee front, I understand that Gophert and Hooter will be dodging the storms and bringing the pain in a heinous display of treachery. Oh, the humanity.

Let those 20s Roar Boys! See you Monday. Good luck and be safe.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

Good luck! I hope to get out there this week

FullChoke

Surehuntsalot and I did not take a bird on his club, but we had one exciting fun hunt anyway. We took a shortcut to where we wanted to start and got to the woods quickly. We stopped and I owl hooted and doggone if one didn't hammer back from about 150-200 yards out in front of us. We eased off into the woods and setup about 100 yards from where we thought he was as it hasn't greened up very well just yet. I wound up calling the same little hen into our laps twice and we both got to see the gobbler strutting at about 75 yards, but he had 2 other hens with him there and wouldn't ease over in our direction. With all of the racket between us, the hens and him gobbling, we heard 2 other gobblers in the woods that sounded like they wanted in on the action, but they didn't come in any closer.

Even though we couldn't close the deal on any of the birds, I still had fun with a great turkey hunter. We talked about turkey hunting the way we learned it, by making our own mistakes and winning our own victories through rabidly acquired knowledge of the ways of the turkey and applied woodsmanship. There were no videotapes back then, nor camouflage other than military surplus, but we had to make do with what we had, and we did just that. It is a real pleasure to spend a day in the woods with a man like Steve, and an honor to call him my friend.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

memert116

That's what this is all about..... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

Quote from: FullChoke on April 06, 2014, 07:51:20 PM
Surehuntsalot and I did not take a bird on his club, but we had one exciting fun hunt anyway. We took a shortcut to where we wanted to start and got to the woods quickly. We stopped and I owl hooted and doggone if one didn't hammer back from about 150-200 yards out in front of us. We eased off into the woods and setup about 100 yards from where we thought he was as it hasn't greened up very well just yet. I wound up calling the same little hen into our laps twice and we both got to see the gobbler strutting at about 75 yards, but he had 2 other hens with him there and wouldn't ease over in our direction. With all of the racket between us, the hens and him gobbling, we heard 2 other gobblers in the woods that sounded like they wanted in on the action, but they didn't come in any closer.

Even though we couldn't close the deal on any of the birds, I still had fun with a great turkey hunter. We talked about turkey hunting the way we learned it, by making our own mistakes and winning our own victories through rabidly acquired knowledge of the ways of the turkey and applied woodsmanship. There were no videotapes back then, nor camouflage other than military surplus, but we had to make do with what we had, and we did just that. It is a real pleasure to spend a day in the woods with a man like Steve, and an honor to call him my friend.

The pleasure is all mine,I look forward to our annual hunts together every year like a child waiting on christmas. Even though we didn't close the deal,I had a great time with a fellow turkey hunter that I am proud to call a friend,and look forward to the next time.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gophert

Good stuff right there.  Me and Hooter both got on birds Friday afternoon, but they just were too wise for us and wouldn't come into range.  My strutted back and forth at 75 yards and wouldn't come any closer through the timber.  Believe me, 15 more yards and he would have ate some shot.  We heard nothing on Saturday morning, which was odd.  Had a hen come by but that was it. 

Hooter

Took a nice double beard this afternoon, but no upgrade,.... sorry.
18 lbs, 10 oz, total of 12" of beard, 1" spurs.  63"

FullChoke

Great job, dude. How many more can you take?

Hooter

Quote from: FullChoke on April 14, 2014, 09:34:52 AM
Great job, dude. How many more can you take?
Two more in TN, and three more in AL.