turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Updated pattern photos

Started by WNCTracker, April 04, 2014, 07:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I shot the longbeards again and got these patterns for 31/2" with IC choke and mossberg 835. Would you go with the 4's or 5's?

40 yds #5 longbeards 166 hits

40 yds #4 longbeards 135 hits

40 yds #5 longbeards 195 hits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

5s...once you have more penetration than you will ever need, it makes no sense to go to a pellet with even more penetration and less shot on target.

jakesdad

5's for reasons mentioned above.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Skeeterbait

Agreed, of those two go with the fives.  There is no need for 4's in turkey hunting.  All it does is reduce pattern density.

Dtrkyman

I would hunt either, shoot five until I ran out and then fours.  You could load you gun 5 5 4 I guess!

WNCTracker

That's what I was thinking too

Loose Wire

Both are nice patterns, and look to shoot to same POI (?).

Another approach would be to shoot the 5's on nice days, 4's on "bad" weather days, say if the wind is over 10 mph, or cold, etc.

WNCTracker

Good advice. Thanks

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

DirtNap647

meat grinder

Just shoot #6 lead will kill as far as your pattern will hold and more pellets on target

WNCTracker

Really?  I'll check them

meat grinder

Yes #6 will do it all day long your pattern will not hold togeather before you loose the capabilities of them #6 .. People say all kinds of things on hear and other forums.. They will do the job I shot #6 lead for 20 years . Federal premium 2 oz 6 and winchester double x magn they have always killed for me ( past 40 yards for sure )  :jackson:

alclark2

Quote from: johnplesh on April 08, 2014, 07:45:23 PM
Really?  I've heard hevi #6 but not lead.

Absolutely. It's all I use.

Hoosier Hunt n Fish

learn2hide

5's look awesome...4's did well too but as others said not losing any necessary power but getting more pellets dropping down to 5's...I still believe lead 6 run out of energy faster than I would like but they are definitely a solid turkey killer as others stated above...if you are getting patterns like this with 5's then no reason to go smaller...no turkey walking away from this unless you blow the shot.
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!