OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

OG, I think I have a problem.

Started by chatterbox, March 15, 2011, 05:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

after talking to Mike on the phone and having him explain what is going on it sounds like the threads have been stretched.
Good things come to those who wait

whiskey

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 15, 2011, 09:14:53 PM
after talking to Mike on the phone and having him explain what is going on it sounds like the threads have been stretched.

Just so I don't do this... How does that happen?

S.C.C

Quote from: whiskey on March 15, 2011, 09:18:42 PM

Using an SSX choke tube!!!!

mossy835

Is the choke end square? Maybe it is not true and that also could cause the gap. Do you have another choke for your gun even a factory one, if so try it and see if it too is "cocked" as I understand your question. If another choke seats square then it is the choke base that is the problem if not it is your barrel.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: S.C.C on March 15, 2011, 09:23:14 PM

cheap choke tubes can be the problem. when buying a choke .how many people look at the threads?? if those threads are not perfect you will have problems.
in this case i feel that the choke had been moving in and out everytime the gun was fired. it was tight enough not to blow out of the barrel but loose enough to stretch the threads. when under that type of pressure it does not take much to do major damage.

Reloader

When you say "gap" do you mean if you look down the bbl with the choke in it appears flush on one side and has a reveal on the other?  If so, that's very common when the bbl is improperly drilled and tapped for the choke if you will.  Alot of bbls are choked off center, some so much that they have a terrible POI in relation to the POA with the bead on the rib.

I have a couple of turkey rigs that are choked off center, flush on one side and have a reveal on the other.  As long as it's at least flush, it shouldn't cause a problem.  If it was so bad that the choke was above the inside surface of the bbl, it could be a very big problem. When I buy shotguns now days I always look at the end of the bbl and this inside lip to make sure the reveal is the same around the bbl.

bird

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 16, 2011, 06:00:40 AM

cheap choke tubes can be the problem. when buying a choke .how many people look at the threads?? if those threads are not perfect you will have problems.
in this case i feel that the choke had been moving in and out everytime the gun was fired. it was tight enough not to blow out of the barrel but loose enough to stretch the threads. when under that type of pressure it does not take much to do major damage.

Exactly Shawn.... Chinese made + cheap = substandard quality

And because a person may of been trying to save a couple of bucks it may of ended up costing him more in the long run.  Mike I hope you are able to get your gun squared away very easily.  Toss that Chinese made junk in the trash before it causes more damage to your gun.

jmo
bird

chatterbox

Quote from: bird on March 16, 2011, 11:00:46 AM

And because a person may of been trying to save a couple of bucks it may of ended up costing him more in the long run.  Mike I hope you are able to get your gun squared away very easily.  Toss that Chinese made junk in the trash before it causes more damage to your gun.

jmo
bird

I sold that choke a while ago. Maybe it's like Ronny said, and the barrel has always been like this. I never checked when I bought the gun. I didn't know you had to look for things like that. So, the barrel can still be good even with the slight gap? I'm confused. Both the stock choke and the JH fit the same way. They screw in very easily, but there is a slight gapping under the rib portion, or at the 12 o'clock position.
My question is, can I still shoot it, or should I scrap it, and get another barrel. I have a barrel on order from Mossberg, but I can cancel the order.
What would you gus do?

shootumindaface

I know Mike over the past few years has put countless rounds through various chokes so I do not see how one can point a finger at one choke unless this was noticed and occurred immediatlely while shooting through that choke..

Out side of Clark, on here I have probably put more rounds through a SSX than anyone in 4 different  SSX chokes and 6 different guns and I have never experienced a choke or thread problem.

Reloader

Quote from: chatterbox on March 16, 2011, 03:50:21 PM
Quote from: bird on March 16, 2011, 11:00:46 AM

jmo
bird

I sold that choke a while ago. Maybe it's like Ronny said, and the barrel has always been like this. I never checked when I bought the gun. I didn't know you had to look for things like that. So, the barrel can still be good even with the slight gap? I'm confused. Both the stock choke and the JH fit the same way. They screw in very easily, but there is a slight gapping under the rib portion, or at the 12 o'clock position.
My question is, can I still shoot it, or should I scrap it, and get another barrel. I have a barrel on order from Mossberg, but I can cancel the order.
What would you gus do?

Yep, your bbl recieved a Friday evening job it sounds.   If the choke lip is not hanging over the edge and into the path of the bbl, it will be fine to shoot.  Remove the bbl, clean, and look through the bbl at a light through the chamber end to see if the lip of the choke hangs into the bbl, every choke.  If it does not, you can shoot it.  If any do, DO NOT shoot it with that choke.  It could peel the choke in with one shot, and blow it out of the bbl with the next.  I've only seen one choke that peeled in like that, but I'm sure there are others with some of the crap choke jobs on some shotguns.  I bought a choke once that had been dropped and bent the lip in, just glad I caught it and fixed it before shooting.

I've seen a few bbls that were flush on one side and had a reveal on the other.  Gun manufacturers shouldn't let them get out of the shop when they screw em up, but it happens.  My 1187SM is so bad that you can't zero it with open sights.

chatterbox

Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I just saw the gap, and thought there was a problem. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this, and I'm going to crawl out of here with what little dignity I have left.
Sorry to have posted up such an idiotic question.

Reloader

Quote from: chatterbox on March 16, 2011, 04:56:34 PM
Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I just saw the gap, and thought there was a problem. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this, and I'm going to crawl out of here with what little dignity I have left.
Sorry to have posted up such an idiotic question.

Man, that aint an idiotic question by any means. Darn good one if you ask me.

Not many folks even look in their bbls that closely.

Are you running sights on it? 

I hate to say it, but as much as I love Remington guns, they are one of the worst about this very thing.  Benelli is bad about it too as are many others.  If they do it right, it should shoot pretty close to point of aim with the factory bead unless the choke itself is the problem.  Alot of shotguns don't shoot straight even with a flush mod choke when the choke area is nonconcentric with the bore.  Alot of folks bend the bbl to correct it if they insist to shoot the bead, but most times it's a crooked choke job or a choke itself.  Even if it's choked true, a nonconcentric choke can throw the pattern way off of POA.

VAHUNTER

when i polished the barrel a couple weeks ago i did not see any problem. no gaps. the choke unscrewed and screwed in with ease. i was under the impression that this was something that happend at the last patterning session. well anyways i'm glad to hear that it is ok. i hate to see anyone have to spend money they do not need to.  :icon_thumright:

allchokedup

I have the SSX for Benelli/Beretta mobil choke. I had it in my Stoeger and shot it some , but not a whole lot. I replaced it with an I/C choke and put it away in my gun vault. I recently purchased a Benelli SuperNova and thought I would try it out. It won't go past the threads. I put it away and won't use it. I'm not sure why it expanded that much???

VAHUNTER

Quote from: allchokedup on March 16, 2011, 07:02:27 PM
I have the SSX for Benelli/Beretta mobil choke. I had it in my Stoeger and shot it some , but not a whole lot. I replaced it with an I/C choke and put it away in my gun vault. I recently purchased a Benelli SuperNova and thought I would try it out. It won't go past the threads. I put it away and won't use it. I'm not sure why it expanded that much???
that is not the first time i have heard of this happening. a choke has got to withstand  tremendous pressure