turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

OG, I think I have a problem.

Started by chatterbox, March 15, 2011, 05:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Ok guys, I think I screwed up, and I need some advice.
When I screw in my choke to my 535, there is a what appears to be a slight gap at what would be the 12:00 position. The rest of the choke seats, and I notice that this is also the case with my stock full choke as well. My Jellyhead has what feels like a slight burring in the threads, and I cleaned out the threads of the barrel and they were black and nasty. The chokes screw in very easily, so I'm not concerned I cross threaded them unless I did it prior.
My question is have I done something to screw up my gun? I think I have, but I don't know what I did. The threads in the gun feel a little rough, but not sure if that is normal. If I need to buy a new barrel, I need to know now before turkey season gets here.

Mike

whiskey

Can you post a picture of the problem?

The choke may be seating inside the barrel and just not seating well where you can see. Or maybe I am not understanding the problem correctly. I would think that if the chokes screw in and out smoothly, then you haven't done anything bad there.

Take a light and look down the barrel and see if you can see any gap where the choke seats against the barrel on the inside.

sugarray

There is a gap in my 835 as well, but inside it seats flush.  No worries as long as the inside seats flush.

chatterbox

There is a slight gap on the inside. I don't know if it's an optical illusion or not. The choke doesn't appear to seat uniformly. The gap appears to be at the 12:00 position on the inside of the gun. I had a bad pattern day on sunday, and I wonder if this was the culprit?

S.C.C

How long did you have the SSX and how many shots did you fire with it in your gun before switching chokes?

chatterbox

Quote from: S.C.C on March 15, 2011, 05:38:13 PM
How long did you have the SSX and how many shots did you fire with it in your gun before switching chokes?
Quite a few. I can't remember how many, but I had the choke for a season. Do you think the SSX screwed up the threads?

S.C.C

Quote from: chatterbox on March 15, 2011, 05:40:11 PM
Quite a few. I can't remember how many, but I had the choke for a season. Do you think the SSX screwed up the threads?
More than likely so my friend!!! :anim_25:

chatterbox

Quote from: S.C.C on March 15, 2011, 05:42:20 PM
Quote from: chatterbox on March 15, 2011, 05:40:11 PM
More than likely so my friend!!! :anim_25:
Great. Now I know why I'm getting such shot -to-shot inconsistancies. Can the barrel be fixed, or do I have to replace it?

sugarray

Probably have to be replaced, but may be able to find a gunsmith to rethread it.   Not sure.

chatterbox

Quote from: sugarray on March 15, 2011, 05:59:33 PM
Probably have to be replaced, but may be able to find a gunsmith to rethread it.   Not sure.
This is getting better all the time. First the barrel, and probably the JH as well. Great.

S.C.C

Don't fret it!! things happen...If you have a small dental mirror use it to check how your choke is seating in the barrel on the skirt.If it isn't seating correctly,then yes it is screwed.new bbl. or cut
the one you have and re thread...Was your SSX hard to screw into your bbl. when you first got it
and did it jam up on the outside of the end of your bbl.?

chatterbox

I honestly can't remember if it was or not. I spin the barrel, and can see a gap at the 12 o'clock position.

VAHUNTER

chatterbox  if you have any questions about it take it to your local gunsmith. he will be able to chase the threads and hopefully get them straight
Good things come to those who wait

allaboutshooting

Quote from: chatterbox on March 15, 2011, 05:04:22 PM
Ok guys, I think I screwed up, and I need some advice.
When I screw in my choke to my 535, there is a what appears to be a slight gap at what would be the 12:00 position. The rest of the choke seats, and I notice that this is also the case with my stock full choke as well. My Jellyhead has what feels like a slight burring in the threads, and I cleaned out the threads of the barrel and they were black and nasty. The chokes screw in very easily, so I'm not concerned I cross threaded them unless I did it prior.
My question is have I done something to screw up my gun? I think I have, but I don't know what I did. The threads in the gun feel a little rough, but not sure if that is normal. If I need to buy a new barrel, I need to know now before turkey season gets here.

Mike

Maybe I can be of help to you but I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. Have you removed your barrel and "flushed out" the muzzle end, where the choke threads into it? That's always a good idea, when a choke does not seem to be fitting properly. I'd also recommend that you use a brass brush or even a toothbrush to get into those threads and really scrub them thoroughly. Flush out any debris. It only takes a small amount of grit to clog up those fine threads.

As has been stated, all chokes are made to seat on the inside shoulder of the barrel and not the muzzle, so a gap between the muzzle and the choke is normal in most cases.

When everything is cleaned, and with your barrel removed, install your choke fully and look down the muzzle end of the barrel. You should be able to see a ring around your you choke. That's the barrel shoulder. As long as the gas skirt of your choke seats against that, actually inside that ring, you're in business.

I'm having trouble understanding the "12:00 gap" when you look down the muzzle. That sounds like the choke is crooked in the gun. Is that the case? If so, it should be crooked outside as well as inside, it seems.

You've been given good advice about having those threads chased by a gunsmith, if necessary but since you chokes go in and out easily, that puzzles me just a little bit. If the cleaning does not help it, I'd take that advice and see a gunsmith. I doubt that you'll need anything more than straightening those threads. I'd also take you JH choke with you and let him take a look at that as well.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

hookedspur

How long is the barrel ? If its long enough a gunsmith can cut it off and re-thread it for a choke tube.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions