News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke----Tighening A Pattern--Help

Started by gatrapper, February 08, 2011, 05:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey Y'all,

I shoot a Beretta 390 12 gauge for my turkey gun.  I have a Kicks GT .655 choke.  I have been shooting 3 inch Winchester Extended Range #6's.  Out the 30 yards my pattern is pretty good, but at 40 its so so.  I have killed birds at 40 with it, but it just doesn't seem as tight as my buddies chokes at 40. 

Any recommendations?  I am willing to change chokes, ammo, etc. 

Here is my 30 yard pattern______what do y'all think?

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

guesswho

I can't help you with the shell/choke combo but I'b be concerned with that pattern.   I'd shoot a bigger target, it may be as simple as a sight adjustment, but based on that target you have some shot missing somewhere.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ground control

i swore i would never shoot hevi shot. then i shot hevi shot. go figure. i shoot the mag blends and cannot believe the difference from the winchester #5's and #6's. i also switched my choke to an indian creek, and deep cleaned the barrel. which of the three made the biggest difference? who knows. i think the shells did, but the choke is pretty good too. this is out of a benelli black eagle 2, which uses the same or similar choke as a beretta. i think. hope this helps.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

Muskie03

That pattern is seriously lacking GA. I would try a new load and even choke. at 30 yds it should look a lot tighter than that. I shoot a Tightwad with my Benelli and that looks like my 50 yd pattern with Win. XR 6's. I just switched last year to Hevi Mag Blends and I like em' alot. They pattern even better.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

gatrapper

Ok Thanks Y'all, going to call Kicks tomorrow and see whats up.

Keep the info coming along please.

Who makes a good choke that will handle heavy shot?

ground control

i like, or rather my gun likes, the indian creek with the hevi shot. yours may not. 
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

Basser69

Ground Control, Which Indian Creek tube are you shooting .665?

gatrapper

If possible could y'all post pictures of your patterns at certain yardages?

ground control

Quote from: Basser69 on February 08, 2011, 05:57:10 PM
Ground Control, Which Indian Creek tube are you shooting .665?

yep, .665. im trying to find a target with a 40yd pattern to take a pic of, but i got around 210 pellets in a 12in circle. i think it was close to 245 in a 13 or 14in circle. these aren't circles i've drawn, just whatever is on the turkey target im shootin at.

ground control

ground control

40yd #2 i believe this target had about a 13in circle. i flipped the target over and traced the circle and drew the "cross hairs" to be able to count em.

[attachment deleted by admin]

SKFOOTER

Quote from: gatrapper on February 08, 2011, 05:48:40 PM
Ok Thanks Y'all, going to call Kicks tomorrow and see whats up.

Keep the info coming along please.

Who makes a good choke that will handle heavy shot?
GA, your Kick's choke will handle the Hevi-Shot just fine.  I've shot Hevi-Shot thru mine for years as have several other members of this forum.  Hevi-13 #7's and your gun/choke combo will make you wish you'd shot them before now!!

gatrapper

Are you sure?  Kicks says no hevi shot or steel shot. 

TrkyHntr

As the others have said. Shoot a bigger piece of paper, then draw your circle around the most dense part of the pattern. Looks like you're shooting way low and to the right.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!