Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Federal Turkey Thugs vs. Winchester Long Bears Pattern Pics

Started by Walkerz07, March 31, 2014, 08:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walkerz07

Ok guys I finally got a chance to pattern my 12 gauge 870 3 " with a polished 21 inch barrel. I am not so much looking for numbers, I am looking for ethically dead turkeys. Here are a few picks of what I shot today the weather was around 70 degrees no wind. Please dont hold back on comments tell me straight up what yall think? The two different chokes that were use was a .660 jellyhead maximum and a factory full turkey choke that came with my gun.

Walkerz07

COssman14

Dead turkey in my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

darn2ten

All I would do is fix your poa/ poi and go hunt. Either load is a ethical 40 yd. killer. I will say one thing.... Them are some dang ugly turkeys!

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: darn2ten on April 01, 2014, 10:28:02 AM
I will say one thing.... Them are some dang ugly turkeys!

Turkeys?!   I thought they were sock puppets.    ;D

drum817

Personally I like the the Long Beard patterns better......that being said...you turkey looks like a sock puppet!!!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Best of luck!!!  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

spur collector

I like the looks of the longbeards better, but if you adjust your poi you could hunt with both loads.

JuniorPre 360

Are you the creator of the Funky Chicken? Your turkey looks just like it.

Walkerz07

haha yea those are some pitiful looking turkey heads I would never make it as an artist need to keep on being a carpenter. I would like to say thank yall for the opinion so far, but I have two questions.
1. Out of the pattern pics I posted which choke do yall think I should use? The jelly head in my opinion had a tighter and better pattern but was shootin high so my poa and poi is not right. The factory turkey choke that came with my gun had a more open pattern but the poa and poi was closer to being right but it was a little high also but I was shooting from a lead sled so I know I didn't flinch or have any human error.
2. Is there any tips or advice that I can do to adjust my poa and poi without getting an optic? I would like to hold off till next year and get a really nice red dot or scope if need be.

(I have some long beard #5's that I haven't shot do yall think that would get me any closer on my poa and poi?)   

jakebird

I would zero your poi from a hunting position (gun on knees, back against a tree) go with the Jellyhead and the Longbeard 6's and go kill yourself a couple of longbeards !
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?