turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who has a backup turkey gun?

Started by eddie234, March 31, 2014, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie234

And is it the same make and model as your primary? I currently am shooting a winchester 1300, i stopped by the pawnshop and they had a nice mossburg 835 and also had a winchester 1300. I was thinking of getting the winchester as a backup so everything would be interchangable. Chokes, barrel, parts. Looking for ideas. Thanks

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

outdoors

I TAKE MY M2 20ga.  AN TAKE MOSSBERG 930 FOR A BACK UP
IVE ALWAYS TAKE TWO WHEN I GO HUNTING , JUST. HABITE .. :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Skeeterbait

For many years I have had two 835's, one set up with a pistol grip and the other a traditional stock.  The pistol grip was my primary and the traditional was my backup.  Just swap the choke from one to the other.  The traditional stocked gun was also my everything else gun.

This year I purchased a pistol grip 935 and it is now my primary.  I am putting the traditional stock back on the 835 but leaving the sights on it.  So now I will have a primary, backup, and backup to the backup again just swapping the choke and go.

SCDieselDawg

I've got a few back ups. Either Remington 870s or Mossberg 935 and a 835

Gooserbat

I got two 870 my old 3" gun and my old 3.5" gun.  Both have 26" pipes and the same bad camo tape job, and two of the same choke.  Only difference is the 3" has a wood stock and two beads, and the other is plastic stock and Truglo sights.  Both kill dead at 40+. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BigStrutter

My back up is my old 20ga Mossberg 500. I got a 870 SM this year and is now my primary gun. I still have 2 other shotguns for a worst case scenario. You definitely need a back up gun. You do not want to get stuck without one during turkey season. IMO you would waste precious hunting time finding/buying a new one and setting it up.

Having a gun that you can change parts out on is not a bad idea if you can get a good deal on it. Good Luck!
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

alloutdoors

Never had a true turkey gun backup before, but bought an M2 20ga last year so now my 12ga 870 is the backup. I actually have two backup 870's now because I picked up a short barrel and Knoxx stock, but decided to put them on my old slug gun. So now I have the M2, the 870 w/Knoxx & 21" barrel, and a plain old synthetic 870 w/26" barrel (my original turkey gun).

drum817

My first dedicated turkey gun was a 835...it's still in GREAT shape, but I purchased a Weatherby PA-459 last year and it has become my primary hunting shotgun.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

WyoHunter

My Berettas back up each other. When I hunt with the 12 the 20 is a backup and when I hunt with the 20 the 12 is the backup. Both are killers!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

beagler

I keep switching back and forth between my Benelli SBE 2 and Mossberg 835. I don't like taking my Benelli out in the rain  ;).
Never Misses

memert116

My primary gun is a beretta 390 and I have an 870 wingmaster as a back up

Bigspurs68

Primary gun, 870 super mag with shur shot stocks. Back up gun, 3"11-87 with shur shot stocks.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

mudhen

1) Super Nova
2) BPS NWTF
3) SBE II
4) Browning Silver
5) H&K SBE

I'd trust any of these in the field...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

WildSpur

I claim to have 2 backups but they were really just replaced by my 870 supermag.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

TJK68

My primary is a 870 Super Mag, 26" barrel, Bottomland camo, Burris FastFire.
My backup is a 3" 870  Express 12ga., 26" barrel, fiber optic front bead, wood stock and forearm. I have a Jellyhead .660 and  Hevi-Shot .662 tubes, both shoot really good in either gun, would like to try an Indian Creek eventually.