Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Who is stickin with older lead loads;aka not switching to longbeards

Started by jakesdad, March 30, 2014, 09:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3132

New improved hunting products come out every year but the old stand byes work just as good as they did the year before. I use the same shell I've always used and it kills turkey just as dead as the best newest turkey shell on the market and I paid $2.00 a box on sale a Walmart.

BandedSpur

Quote from: mike3132 on April 02, 2014, 06:18:15 AM
New improved hunting products come out every year but the old stand byes work just as good as they did the year before. I use the same shell I've always used and it kills turkey just as dead as the best newest turkey shell on the market and I paid $2.00 a box on sale a Walmart.

You stole them...WTG

trkehunr93

I have plenty of Win 3.5" HV 5's and Win XX 3" 5's to get me thru until the day I die.  No need to buy more shells. 

learn2hide

My favorite old lead load was the 3" Rem 4x6 Duplex...killed quite a few birds with that set up...even though I have switched to HTL and like the results I've gotten out of the LB XR if you were to drop me off at an old loggin road at daylight with nothing but my shotgun, a slate, and a box of those 4x6 Duplex I'd be a happy man   :you_rock:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI have plenty.....to get me thru until the day I die.  No need to buy more shells.

Ain't that the truth!!!

QuoteIf you were to drop me off 300 Yards from Gobblin' Turkeys with nothing but my Shotgun, my Box Calls, and either a box of 3" #6 Turkey Thugs or a box of 3" Win HV #5's I'd be a happy man.

There, I fixed it for you. :icon_thumright:

learn2hide

^^^ I suppose that within 300 yards of gobblers would be better than at a random logging road but I'll still bring my duplex 4x6 :-P::::::::::::::::  :lol:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: knightrider on March 31, 2014, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 31, 2014, 07:27:49 PM
I,m sticking with what has worked for me over the years,don't need them.
I,m not into the little holes in a piece of paper.
first let me say this is not an attack or judgement on you but i have read that so many times on here and i just don't understand that staement. more holes in a sheet of paper equalls more holes in a gobblers noggin. maybe I'm wrong though

don't mean nothing by it,I like a good even 20" pattern,not looking for tight softball size patterns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

the Ward

I have accumulated a pretty good stock of Winchester and fed pb, along with Winchester hd and magblends so no switching here. I picked a box of Lb's just to try for giggles in 3"# 4s  and while they put up the best 10" numbers I've ever got with 4s (119) there wasn't much of a 15". When I'm shooting lead I will stick with the winny "grey box" 5s or the 3-2-5s or fed thugs in 5s or 6s.  Those loads put up good 10" and 15" #s at 40 and were not overly tight at 20yds. I got into chasing numbers last year without taking into account the usual range I shoot. Both the gobblers I took last year were right around the 10yrd mark and it would have been very easy to miss. Anything patterns really tight at those ranges but I felt like I may be handicapping myself at 25yrds with the super tight 40 yard patterns so this season I'm changing it up and loosing up the patterns to be a little more open. My thinking as of late is to match the gun and load to the terrain and normal range which I can expect to shoot and if he is too far I get him closer or he gets another day.

bamagtrdude

me; tried the LB's, they're shooting high/right on both of my guns.  sticking with the old "tried & true" shells I've already got.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

BrowningGuy88

Turkey season crept up on me this year so I am shooting the old Federal Blue and Gold 3.5" #6's. May try the longbeards next year, but the 4's are going to have to really shoot for me to stop shooting the old Feds.

Longshanks

I have guns that turn some crazy numbers, 333, 289 etc. I'm hunting with win HV 3" 5's.  Turns 110 @ 40. The guy hit on the head when he said set up for your terrain. I killed one at 10 this year and missed one at 30 with a super tight LB pattern. Shots at our place are common at 15-18 yds. One of our members missed one the other day at 15yds with a Hevi 6 set up. Tight patterns have cost me some turkeys hunting in ridges and thick timber. Tight patterns are awesome on more open ground like in the midwest. Thickets of MS..need a scatter gun.

jblackburn

Killed my opening day tom with Win Supreme XX 6s (red shell). Been buying more boxes when I find them now that Win is making changes.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Longshanks

Quote from: jblackburn on April 18, 2014, 03:45:40 AM
Killed my opening day tom with Win Supreme XX 6s (red shell). Been buying more boxes when I find them now that Win is making changes.

They are getting kinda scarce now..found 10 boxes or so at Bass Pro last year I haven't seen any this year.

mr perfect

well  i almost was then i tried the longbeards the are better there is less shot in them 1 3/4  vrs the 1 7/8  not many less but there are more in the paper about 25 to 30 in each shot now that is the thugs vrs the longbeards . nowi will admit that is does get to be a hassle  but i do enjoy shooting and trying new shells . the only drawback is they are expensive . i will say this i never went the heavy shot route. always shot lead .

howl

I have about ten years worth of the old Win Supreme loads in the old style box before the change to XX. Went looking and stocked up when I saw the change. I shoot beads and won't ever have to check sights or pattern that gun again. Why would I change?